Started with vertigo now ear pain/fullnessness help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have an extremely uncomfortable ear condition and I can’t get relief. It started with vertigo and hearing sensitivity over a month ago. I went to the doctor and was given exercises and sent on my way. A week later the vertigo got worse and I went back to the doctor and he said I had a bulging ear drum and treated me with antibiotics and prednisone. A week later I have a feeling of fluid and fullness in my ear. It is very uncomfortable. I ent to an ENT who said they don’t see anything, but gave me a higher dose of prednisone and I was told to give it time. After the prednisone I still had the feeling and was given a3rd round. During all this I have on and off vertigo. Any ideas who it could be? I am so uncomfortable!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I also wanted to add that yesterday I discovered my ear canal is swollen. 
  • Posted

Hello Kristi,

It's a shame you weren't prescribed a high dose of Predisolone the first

time.  I had to have it back in April last year too.  My left eardrum perforated.

If you don't live in England it's high unlikely that you'll be able to be prescribed

the medication that's helped me.

I've suffered (ETD Eustachina Tube Dysfunction for years and years and it's

only since my last course of Prenisolone and Flixonase Nasule Drops that.

If you're in the States I do know that you'll be able to get prescribed the Flixonase

Nasal Spray, so try that....but it must be used morning and night for a long time.

It's the inflammation that causes the problem with ETD.  Our tubes swell so fluid 

(mucus) is unable to drain.  Doctors do seem to take ETD very lightly and don't

realise just how distressing a condition it is.....they need to suffer just a week 

from blocked ears to know how awful it it.  Some people suffer from blocked ears

during and after a cold, however, if their tubes are working properly, within a week

or so they clear....unlike many, me included who've suffered, month and even years.

I see my ENT consultant twice yearly, so will be seeing him next month in February

for my check up.  Happily, at the moment my problem is manageable.

Regards

Anne 

things have improved for me.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I have Flixonase, but currently I’m not using it. I can’t even remember why I was ever originally prescribed it at one point. I will start using it again to see if it provides any relief. 

Thank you,

Kristi

• Posted

You're so very welcome Kristi.   Use it every day, morning and at night before going to bed.

It takes a while to work, so don't give up.

Usually prescribed for Sinus issues too.....something else I blinking suffer from.

Which country are you in ?

Anne

• Posted

Forgot to say, make sure the Flixonase is still in date if you haven't used it in a while

Anne

• Posted

I just checked and it’s good until next month. I am in the US. Here we call it Flonase. Thank you again for your help! I really appreciate it. 
    • Posted

Yes, I thought you were in US.  What a shame, as you won't be able to get the

Flixonase Nasule Drops, that are stronger than the Spray....never mind, try

the spray as see how you get on....don't be alarmed if it takes a long time to

work.  

I speak to several people that live in US and wanted to try the Nasule drops,

like I've said not available out there.  my nephew is a Pharmacist out there,

so I ask him.

Do you suffer allergies, if so try taking a daily Citrizine Antihistamine, they

can also help with ears, if it's allergy related.

Let me know how you get on and if you find benefit from the Flonase, as

you call it over there.

Anne

• Posted

I do not have a history of allergies, however, when I was sick with a cold st the end of Summer the post nasal drip never went away. It is better now that I’ve been on antibiotics and prednisone. I did buy an Antihistamine to try when the vertigo started.
    • Posted

Hiya,  read what it says in the leaflet, that should be in box.

I don't like to advise other people on medication dosages.

I really don't want to put a downer on you lovely people still

suffering from ETD.  I just think if you've had it a while now

I'd be so surprised  if the spray will work and if it does it will

take a good while.

Imagine the mucus sticking our tubes together....how hard

for them to unblock with a few sprays into the nose.

While I was using the Flixonase Spray (yours in Flonase)

it didn't really help me and it made me lose my sense of

smell and taste too.

It's the Flixonase Naule Drops that I keep banging on about

that have helped me....surely there must be an

alternative you can ask for in other countries.  Do

ask and tell your doctors what I'm using in the UK

and get them to look it up.

Good luck

Anne

• Posted

Will do. Thank you..yea the eagle said two sprays 1x a day. .will c what happens.from here..thank you Anne..I guess it's just Goin to be a hit and miss game

• Posted

Wow, sounds so much of what I'm going thru along with tinnitis..my ent said I had pressure in left ear whn they did hearing test. .then bout a week later awful vertigo. Kept coming and going yet almost constant lightheadedness. .so I go to my dr. She saw something like a growth in my left ear, which keeps like a fullness feeling every morning almost. So now iv got another ent appt and will c what happens. Prayerfully it can be a quick, easy fix for ear fullness, tinnitis, and vertigo..and heavy head feeling as well as vision seems to be off a little..do you get that as well? Hope ya get answrs soon..

• Posted

Yes, vision is off at times. It comes and goes. It becomes very hard to focus. It is very hard to explain. I’ve been using Flonase. Yesterday was a very good day but I was very active and busy. Today wasn’t as good, but I took a decongestant tonight and it seems to have made me feel better. 
  • Posted

Curious, do you still have the sound sensitivity? 
    • Posted

At times I still have the sound sensitivity, but it is not nearly as bad and it is only certain sounds. It has improved quite a bit compared to when this first started over a month ago. The sound sensitivity followed by the vertigo  is what first alerted me there was a problem. The vertigo has also improved, but the ear fullness and feeling of something in the ear is still present. Some of these symptoms come and go. Usually it is worse in the evening.
    • Posted

Yes, mine come and go as well and when busy not as noticbe and dies get worse when I'm just in bed trying to relax for the nite..why does the worse if everything happen at night??wink

• Posted

I can't stand the sound of dishes hitting together or pots and pans..ugh..Guess that's the worse sounds for me..I can't explain the cushion part eithr. Tried to explain. To dr she just loos at me like "seriously?" I wish I had the words..my vision is fine, it's just lie maybe for a lack of a word, a glare maybe in background..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.