Started Zoloft for about 2 weeks and quit feel horrible....

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone my names Brandon and I'm 21 with two little boys and amazing wife. My story starts here about 4months ago I was taking hydrocodone everyday for about 2 months I ran out and ordered tramadol from India online. Took that for 2 months until I ran out and ended up in the ER cause my wife told me to go I just told the doctor my stomach was hurting and I'm constantly nauseous, well needless to say he gave me a phengran and sent me home. Still feeling horrible I finally figured out it was opiate withdrawals... but I also seen my doc for depression so she put me back on Zoloft I started out taking 50mg for 3 days finally started feeling a bit better... so I upped myself to 100mg.. started to feel weird then I upped myself to 150mg started to have horrible experiences my wife woke up with me sitting next to the pond at our house with me trying to slit my throat. This is stupid I know cause I have everything when I start to feel a little better in the day I tell her that isn't me I know it isn't it has to be the medicine. I also wanna mention reason why I increased my dose so fast is cause I was in 200mg before last year and my doc said I could start back there if I wanted. But after giving it 2 weeks I just stayed 100mgs of Zoloft feeling horrible wanting to kill myself never felt like this before it was horrible then the opiate withdrawal. So here I am now day 4 of stopping Zoloft and every time I wake up in the morning I have major anxiety and flu like symptoms this been going on since stopping the Zoloft. I know it was different then side effects of taking Zoloft cause that was just causing me to be depressed and suicidal thoughts. The thing that I can't seem to figure out is when I wake up I'm sick, hopeless can't do anything I mope around and just wanna do nothing. But all of sudden I start feeling better after around 1pm in the afternoon. Like yesterday was the worst I crying all day swinging on the swing in the back yard then. 2 hours later I start feeling amazing I was thinking god gave me a miracle I was so happy telling my wife see this is my normal self I'm back I feel good and so I carried in with the rest of my day feeling great. I go to sleep last night feeling a lot better and I wake up at 5am with stomach pain and diarrhea but I was still really happy cause this was an actual pain that I knew would subside not the nausea anxiety feeling I always feel anyways after using the bathroom I go back to sleep and wake up at 7am this morning and just wake up shaking having a panic attack and instantly felt nauseous I got extremely depressed again and was like nope it's not gone. So now I'm at the point where I want to give up I don't know if it Zoloft withdrawals I was only taking it for 2 weeks... I don't know if I have the stomach flu... I will tell you that i was prescribed xanax I'm using as needed cause I know it's addictive most mornings I will just go without it and just cope with the unbearable miserable feelings until afternoon hits. This morning was really hard again so I'm actually on .5 xanax while Typing this. I'm really scared I can hear my two little boys in the living room right now I get major anxiety around them. I love them to death it's just when I feel like this because come afternoon when I'm feeling better I want to snuggle them hold them with no anxiety at all..... I just don't understand can anyone tell me what's going on with me I really am trying but so close to giving up - Brandon rolleyes

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brandon, everyone is different but from my own experience and research, what sertraline actually does, is increase your drives so if you are feeling depressed and slightly suicidal, then that will be hightened, so you will be more driven and motivated to do things that your depressive self has quietly suggested. I would reccomend riding it out for 3 weeks in total, the first two are AWFUL, you will feel like utter crap, but then when the sertraline balences your serotonine, dopamine, and adrenaline levels should start progressing towards a "normal" or neuro-typical person's levels. if its still not for you after 3 weeks then get rid of it, but I would wait a litle longer. Best of Luck

• Posted

Hi Brandon, I know this post is a bit old. I hope you are feeling better. I wanted to post because your story is so similar to mine. I took sertraline 25mg for two weeks, I didn't know how quickly withdrawel affects could come on. So I wasn't taken them everyday. I experienced the same physical symptoms as you. But also with headaches/head pains. It's been three months now (I stopped taking the meds in March) and I still get the headaches. That medicine really messed me up. I would never touch another antidepressant again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.