Starting 30mg Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Going from 20mg of citalopram to 30mg as 20mg has done nothing for me. Iv been on it 6weeks. Should I wait it out or go straight to 30mg. Maybe 6 weeks isn't long enough. First 2 weeks I was only on 10mg so iv really only been on 20mg for 4 weeks.

Also I have this fuzzy tingling sensation in the left side of my head I'm wondering if it's a side effect of the tablets or a physical symptom of depression/anxiety.

Any advice would be really appreciated

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You never felt dizzy, anxious or tired from this pill?
    • Posted

I'm coming off cit, only was on 10 mg for 6 weeks, slowly doctor is taking weaning me off, starting 2 nd week of weaning tomorrow. Guess my anxiety makes me tired from being worried about the side effects I am having, lucky you aren't having any.
    • Posted

It's definitely made me feel tired. That's about the only side effect. I struggle with anxiety & depression. It's just not really working for me sadly sad It's maybe too soon though. Iv read forums where it's taken some people 9 weeks to start seeing a difference. I'm kind of hoping the tiredness will subside. I just hope the higher dose works, today I feel so down within myself. Good luck with your tapering smile
    • Posted

HI kirsty,

Could be too soon, but it does sound like you are experiencing side effects. It would also appear you are one of those lucky people that do not get the level, intensity or amount as the rest of us!

The down you talk about is another, have you experienced extra anxiety? Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it!

I went from 10mg to 40mg in around 4 months, but remember not everyone goes this high. I have levelled at 40mg and am about to start a planned very gradual and slow reduction this week. My side effects became tolerable and I no longer noticed them after at least a couple of months. Since then I have seen a gradual improvement (My Dr and Fiancee first noticed it) after 4/5 months. I am currently at nearly 9 months.

Keep posting, ask any question however insignificant it may seem and one more thing Welcome to the sticking plaster for the brain Club!"

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David thanks so much for taking time to reply. I went upto 30mg today. I definitely feel more depressed than anxious. Just feel hopeless. I guess I'm really hoping this will work for me. I'm scared I'm going a little insane & can't think clearly at all. When I first started the tablets I felt better but felt myself getting down again. I'm quite small (5ft3) & weigh only 8 stone so I didn't think id need to go up but I guess it's nothing to do with weight. I find my hands very shaky & my legs kick out when I try to fall asleep which I see is a side effect although I had this before I even started the tablets.
    • Posted

David, question for you. You know I'm going on week 2 of coming off the cit, my granddaughter was here today, my anxiety was high she's a great little 5 1/2 year old too. I have to watch her in another week over night and daytime for 3 days, is my anxiety higher because of the weaning right now? I mean normally I'd be fine with all if this but right now, very anxious but I really have to do this for my son. What you think, in another well my anxiety should be somewhat less, I pray anyhow. Cindy
    • Posted

Morning Kirsty,

I forgot to mention that we can also suffer a little paranoia initially. I felt I had health issues and after I mentioned this to my Dr she put me through a load of health checks for a 58 year old, even an ECG due to the shortness of breath (anxiety/panic attacks). It coincided with a national health check so, I basically had the full MoT!

You are experiencing most of the side effects that most of us feel however, if you are not sure or happy then get back to your Dr and discuss with them. The important thing is Kirsty that you do discuss this illness and gain advice and support from all that can help. That is why we are all here, to help one another.

Size does not matter, but lifestyle, health and fitness,(mentally as well as physically) does. A positive attitude does help and believe me we have all said "yeah sure!" to that bit oif advice/ It is difficult, but by posting here you will realsie you are not alone in this.

If you have someone close to you that has an open mind get them involved too as this really does help. On the days you don't feel like getting up stay in bed! When you do, get up and enjoy! That is a positive to remember when you are down. Little by little the fogginess will fade and you'll come out the otherside.

Do not watch daytime TV this will depress you even more. We discussed the good effects of music a while back and the general response was one of many self help things to do, when feeling down, was to play your favourite song/album or turn on the radio and when a good one comes on sing, dance even crank up the volume and shout! You will feel good!

Get at least 10 mins of sunshine a day, get out go for a walk (I found this difficult at first, but my partner Ann came with me - took me 4 months to go out on my own). Vitamin supplements B6 and D3 can help whilst on Cita as can a healthier diet. I must say I have changed my lifestyle around given up smoking, drink a bottle of ale or two a week and no longer eat meat (this is optional of course). Saying all this I could do with losing two stone. I used to run and jog a lot, but too much rugby, badmington etc have taken there toll. I always kept the weight down by at least jogging so I do have to reduce my intake (comfort food especially) and exercise more (even though I am fit for me age).

Things will get better, you just got to give it time and by postinf here we'll help that time and the problems slip away!

Best Wishes, speak (as they say ir should it be type) again soon.

David

• Posted

Morning Cindy,

I guess like most of us the old anxiety levels can rise over the smallest of things, even a small person! You know how to cope with the experience you already have, it is just that this time your anxiety levels are higher and it is natural to be anxious (even subconciously) when taking care of something so precious.

Cindy, just try to accept the withdrawl adjust to it and do what you have to do, then afterward you look back at another step forward! Try not to "over think" the situation, let your maternal instincts take over and go with it. Have a great time with your Granddaughter and do what makes you both happy.

One last thing, you could always stop the weaning and take 10mg to see you through, but then you'll probably get some side effects anyway. However, I would contact katecogs because she has more experience with the weaning than I.

Good luck and keep posting, we send positive thoughts in your direction.

Regards,

David  x

• Posted

Hi kirsty31312

If I remember I waited 6 weeks to go upand I got similar feeling but I did keep an eye on it and checked with doctor that it was OK, it does take up to 6 weeks for some people to start getting the full effects of the drug so it could just be your body adjusting. Move up to the next dose when you have been told told to allow your body to get used to it.

I am no longer taking that drug I'm on mirtazipine 45mg one at night I found it better taking it at night as its in my system by the time I wake up so little side effects.

I take mine for post traumatic stress disorder and depression. But any effects that are not on the list you get tell your Dr or pharmacist.

I hope things improve for you I'm sure they will.

But above all remember you not alone with this there are plenty of us that understand. Take care

• Posted

Thanks so much peter. I started 30mg. Il give this another 6 weeks & if no inprovment I will switch & try something else. Did you find Mirtazipine worked better for you?
  • Posted

Hello Kirsty. As you've been prescribed 30mg you should start this straight away. The change will not be immediate and may take 6 - 8 weeks. As for the tingling sensation on the left-side of your head is this all the time? Did you mention it to your GP?  If not I would speak to him about it as I think it could be a side effect of the tablets. You do however need to persevere.
    • Posted

Thank-you Gwen!!

Thankfully the head parestesia has subsided. Because I had it before I started Cita I became paranoid it was a tumour. Thankfully it's a physical symptom of anxiety for me. Although the tablets made it much more intense.

Thankfully the side effects have subsided & I'm starting to see the light again. Slowly but surely. I just hope it lasts.

• Posted

hi kirsty you are the same as me i was on 10mg for 3 weeks and 20mg now 4 weeks and i find it has done nothing for me , bad side effects and depression is worse , my gp has told me to up it to 30mg , i am going to give it a few more weeks before i decide to stop , it may just kick in like other people , my gp wants to add another med but i am reluctant at the moment , want to give the cit a good go , its tough i know every day is a challenge your like me and all other suffers we just want a bit of life back , no one should have to suffer like this , but we have to bellieve in those that have been through this and have got better and hope soon it is our turn , take care , let me know how you get on with 30 mg im starting 30 mg tomorrow
    • Posted

Terry thank-you for your lovely response. Thankfully a lot of the side effects have disappeared for me but I still feel down & have that anxious knot in my chest. And all I want to do is eat. Iv been on Citalopram a total of 8 weeks now but because iv changed to a higher dose it's like starting out all over again so I think I won't notice a difference for at least a few more weeks yet. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Hopefully 30mg works for you. I haven't lost faith that someday we will feel better.

Take care smile

• Posted

i hate the feeling of that anxious knot so i know where you are coming from , i wish i could eat it would be a start , i feel more down on 20mg than i did on 10mg im sure we will feel better ,  its just a long progress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.