Starting Allopurinol - when can I expect an attack?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Nothing is working any more so am resigned to taking this drug. I gather that i can expect a gout attack as the crystals start to dissolve. I need to time this as well as i can for office days and not my out and about days.

So, when can i expect a likely flare up - within a few days or a few weeks of starting my 100mg dose? Any guidance would be good as if I take it now and get a flare in 5 days that will be a disaster. If I get a flare in 9 days that is manageable. I have steroid tabs to take if I get an attack and they might be able to dampen it down mind... Dicolfenac and the others dont really touch them any more...

Thanks for any advice .

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I wasn't made aware of the need for annual blood testing will take this up with my GP next time I see her.

• Posted

its worse thsn that...during the first few months the level of allopurinol is supposed to be "tritated" i think is the correct word. if the level of blood urate is to high then increase the dose, test again etc. There has been some recent resesrch which showed thst too low a level of allopurinol (ie too high blood urate) led to poor outvomes long term. Most peoole need 300mg. The level you need is enough to bring doen the blood urate to under 3,

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for their replies - very useful.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet here as just got another really bad attack inside left foot - couldn't walk last night - foot was terrible. Thankfully, due solely to the advice here, I had cholcicine to hand as had requested this from GP/MD as prophylaxis for actually starting allopurinol.

Now i've had allopurinol over 2 months but hadn't taken any yet as i've always had some gout in my foot. So now i'm taking cholcicine and diclofenac i just have to get on these tablets, gout or no gout attack in progress.

So tonight, even though my foot still hurts, knowing i'm on diclo and cholcicine I have taken my first allopurinol. There is info online to say that this may not be the worst thing to do and opinions differ. And, hey, you cant get gout twice in the same place at the same time can you?! Also cholcicine is about a 5 day course only and then you cant take any more for a few days - so I have bitten the bullet, knowing I have all these medicines in my system...

God I hope I wont be crippled by it as have loads of work on at the moment as a self employed person that needs to be out and about!

Thank you all again for the help and support.

• Posted

I have never been offered a urate reading.However, I started on 300mg. I have, you might think I'm mad, reduced to 200mg every other day. No effects at all over the last 3 weeks. I don't like taking pills hence the decision.

• Posted

I am suffering a gout attack these days. My Doctor has advised me to take febuxostat instead of allopurinol as febuxostat is latest. Why are you still taking allopurinol?

• Posted

Robert - just request a blood test for urate mate. Dont wing it. Get facts. I have by now doubled my dose to 200mg and am getting test in 2 weeks so will know exactly where I am. I suspect I will need to go to 300mg.

Allopurinol has been fab for me - no side effects (maybe softer stools...I can live with that!) and I have had no gout or disability by it (or the mental worry of getting struck down overnight and losing work) for months; some slight joint pain now an again but its a different world really 😃

• Posted

I am glad that allopurinol is working for you. May you get well soon.

• Posted

due to start allopurinol soon, why do people say to not stop taking it once you start?

• Posted

i went into hospital end oct with acute kidney injury caused by medications. i had a gout flare when i was in there on my foot and also cellulitis (painful) when i came out they started me on allopurinol. wasnt told it trigger gout again. was gout free from 1 jan, months of pain. now a week ago its in my knee. only thing helping with pain in the oral morphine. got to have allopurinol increased when it settles back down. literally cannot move my leg in any way. im doing so much reading as i never want it again. making me irratable

• Posted

also the colchicine makes me vomit for hours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.