Starting amitriplyne for the first time

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone, i used to take take sertraline for a good while and in the end i gave up because it made me worse so now my doc has put me on ami 25mg to help me sleep too.. is there any positive stories with this medication? the only meds that have ever worked for me is diazapam but cant take them due to work reasons... any help would be greatfully appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i take amitriptyline ive been taken them for years i do recommend them, i was taking sertraline i could get on with them either

• Posted

Everyone has an different effect from this med. I've been on it for about 6 months. I like it.

• Edited

amatriptalyn is a good med for people it works for. honestly I'm surprised they didn't try you on another ssri first before Amatriptalyn as its older and apparently comes with more side effects so they don't normally offer it unless lots of others haven't worked. anyone who's taken any antidepressants will know that they all give side effects tbh so you might find it pretty easy on your system. it will definitely help with any pain and for sure will help you sleep.

I hated sertraline I only lasted 6 weeks.

how long did you try it for?

just remember not to give up too soon as the meds can take a while to kick in. everyone is different so don't be disheartened if it doesn't work as quickly as people say. doesn't mean it wont work it can just take a little longer for some x

• Edited

hi sorry for the late reply, anxiety been through the roof, felt awful on this med, 1 hour sleep the last 4 nights, heart racing, cant relax just having a really bad time... maybe this med isnt for me, maybe i should stick with it longer but i dont think the lockdown is helping being in the house 23 hours a day either... i know everyone is in the same boat, just anxiety and palpatations are horrible at the min... stupid anxiety x

• Edited

I'm the same, started taking this just over 2 weeks ago mainly for pain however had anxiety beforehand. 10mg of amitriptyline has made my anxiety worse, I feel exhausted in the mornings like I haven't slept( taking it at 7pm), quality of sleep is awful, muscle twitches, heart palpitations, morning nausea, mood is all over the place, feel like I'm vibrating and the worst dry mouth.

hope you find something that works for you

A

• Posted

you know I had the worst anxiety, panic attacks and depression 32 years ago. I mean bad. it seemed like every med mad it worse. one day my shrink put me on a med called Trofanil. Everything went away. I tell everyone I know how this helped me. You will be better it. won't last . forever will send you white and love.

• Posted

I've been on 25mg for 8 months, I take it for burning mouth syndrome/LPR (silent reflux). Mostly, it has worked really well for me. It has reduced my pain in my mouth and throat a lot. I think it does help with sleep, although I never had the knocked out or exhausted feeling many people get with it. It gives me a mildly dry mouth which isn't a huge deal, and which I already had from the silent reflux anyway. The biggest downside has been that it has caused me to gradually put weight on, even though it hasn't affected my appetite. If I continue to gain, I will have to think about whether the benefit is worth this cost. But overall I would say I've had a positive experience with the med so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.