Starting Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

So today I was prescribed Amitriptyline 10 mg for anxiety/nausea and vomiting.

I've heard a lot about the sedating effects, I took my first tablet at 10pm, and honestly I don't feel anything. It's 12:53 am and I can't get to sleep. I'm panicking and worrying now that the medication isn't going to work for me. I mean surely I should feel more sedated now.

It's incredibly distressing. I've tried five different antidepressants in the past five months. None of them having any effect. I even saw a gastroenterologist about the nausea and vomiting caused by my anxiety, he recommended I try Amitriptyline. But now I'm worried it's not going to take effect...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert, I just wanted to give you some reassurance by sharing my experiences of using Amitriptyline. I use it for pain, insomnia and IBS symptoms which are symptoms of my Fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist also started me on 10mg, but told me to increase in 10mg increments after every 7 day period if I felt no effect. He also explained the importance of taking it 12 hours before I wanted to get up, to minimise the groggy feeling some people get. I find I am not groggy if I take it before 7pm. 10mg didn’t make a difference for me either ( for insomnia or IBS symptoms). I am now on 25mg and mostly it works well. If I am particularly stressed then it can be difficult to get to sleep, but I usually stay asleep, instead of waking every couple of hours which I did before. It’s my understanding that most people end up on a dose between 20 - 30mg as this is. The dosage that seems most effective for the majority. 

Please dont worry, I’m sure Amitriptyline will work if you follow these guidelines.

• Posted

Hi Teacher,

I'm trying to remain hopeful about Amitriptyline, I just want my anxiety symptoms and the persistent anxiety nausea to go away. 

I woke up this morning feeling rather unsettled and with a nauseated churning stomach. Eventually I vomited, I'm just hoping that this medication works for me.

I'm wondering if it might be due to changing from one antidepressant to another. I was on 15mg Mirtazapine, the last tablet I took for that was on Sunday evening. 

I'm considering talking to a pharmacist today to see what they recommend. I just want this nausea to go...  

• Posted

I have anxiety too so can really sympathize with what you are going through. Have you tried Pregabalin? I find it really useful for anxiety. I used to have Diazapam for bad days but this works better as I take it everyday, just adjust the dose depending on how I’m feeling. It is actually licensed for General Anxiety Disorder, so might be worth asking your GP about it. It does have some side effects, but it helps me to function and not be in that awful ‘fight or flight’ mode all the time.
    • Posted

I've never heard of Pregabalin before. But the gastroenterologist recommended I try amitriptyline because of it's sedating properties. So far I haven't felt anything.

• Posted

Hello,

I have also recently started to use Amitriptyline for anxiety but haven't noticed any real side effects other than waking up with a dry mouth. I was suffering from symptoms of head pressure (like a tension headache) / dizziness / off-balance / vertigo and slightly sick. I seem to suffer these problems when in environments where am not happy (such as work) have been to see Doctor, Nuerologist and MRI scan all of which has found nothing physically wrong.

I must say the meds certainly have helped reduce the head pressure, however I can still feel it lingering in the background.Does anyone else have these feelings ? I also sometimes get a stiff neck and feel dehydrated during a bad episode.

• Posted

So far I've only experienced the dry mouth, I don't seem to have any of the side effects (Although I do wish the sedation would kick in) I've had some nausea, but I've had that since before I took amitriptyline.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.