Starting back on Sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All. Currently on Day 8 of my Sertraline journey for anxiety. I think this recent episode was actually triggered by having Covid-19. I was ill for a couple of weeks but then I just could not shake it off and it felt like it may have upset my body and mind. Anyway, started getting the old feelings of anxiety coming back in so called the doctors and asked to go back on the Sertraline.

I'm on Day 8 now and having all the same old issues. I'm waking up at 2/3am and can't get back to sleep, feel weak and shaky, no appetite and getting the tight jaw and sore neck muscles symptoms. I know these are symptoms of anxiety however they only seem to have come on since I started the 50mg of Sertraline.

I have been on Sertraline a few times now. 9 months in 2010, 9 months in 2015, 18 months in 2016/17 and for 4 months this time last year. Even though I know that eventually they do work (it took 10 weeks for me to feel better last year) I am still scared to death of the journey, the lack of sleep and the horrendous morning anxiety, all whilst trying to hold down a professional job.

Not sure what I am looking for here, probably reassurance, however thought I would reach out. Any positive stories welcome.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi All, thought I would check back in. I am now at Week 10 and virtually back to being myself. Sleep normalised around week 5/6 and since then I seem to have got better each day. Still got odd bits of anxiety but for the most part I am now engaged in whatever I am doing and can brush any thoughts and feelings aside which as you will all know, when you're in the midst of it you cannot do and are desperate to do. So, for me and once again, the medication seems to have worked. Hang in there.

• Posted

This being "in" and "out" on SSRi make us feel dreined , i know... and those question coming to Your brain: "if is normal to feel like that?" or " Maybe that is not for me?" but Being patient: that is key to success... Hope everything is ok now:)

• Posted

hi everyone im new to this and cant work out how to make my own post lol. i started back on sertraline 6 weeks ago today and since starting iv had quite intense intrusive thoughts! they have eased mind but i was just wondering if this was a side effect and if any one else had experienced anything like it ?

• Posted

ive recently gone back on 100mg sertraline and 15mg mirtazapine 2 and a half weeks ago. been on this combo twice before, came off of it 3/4 months ago but felt emotional and doctor said its ok to go straight back on at those dosages, side effects have been awful and i cry every day and feel helpless, my issue is i suffer intrusive thoughts about bodily functions (blinking breathing swallowing) ive had this for ages but was just living with it and was still able to be happy but atm it feels like il never feel happy again and cant see how il ever be in the moment and not locked in my own brain, if that makes sense? what thoughts do you have?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.