Starting citalopram

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey everyone!!!

Was prescribed celexa a while back but haven't taken it yet due to fear of how I'm gonna react to it with the side effects as I've read a few good and horror stories on it and was skeptical.

However my depression is getting worse and worse and I need to do something about it so I'm thinking about starting on the celexa.

If anyone has tried it or is currently on it please offer insights on what dose you are on, for how long and if it's working for you. Also how long did it take to see changes. any advice/insights you can offer will be much appreciated!!!! Thanks 😊

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Shawn23899,

I took my first Citalopram pill last night. I am to take 10mg for a week then after go to 20mg. I took the pill at about 8:45pm and started feeling sleepy about 30-40 minutes later. I fell asleep around 10pm. I woke up at 3am feeling jittery and I'm still up now unable to fall back to sleep.

• Posted

Hi nettie602...just read your post to Shawn...why don't you do what I do and try taking it in the afternoon..I take mine about 2.30pm...if you've only took one upto now why don't you give it a go huni...I'm always ready for bed come 10pm...and probably had 1 restless night in 9 weeks...the rest I've slept like a baby...good luck flower 😉

• Posted

Hi Nettie602,

Thanks for the feedback, it seems like a lot of people have insomnia when they start celexa. I know I definitely need my sleep so maybe taking it in the morning might be beneficial but I just need to see how I react to it at first and decide what time works for me. Hope it works for you.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

That's one of the issues that has kept me from taking celexa is the insomnia, I heard it can be really bad so maybe I'll take my first dose in the morning or late afternoon and see how it goes. Thanks again for your contribution.

• Posted

Been on it for near on ten years and I take 20mg. I follow the GPs recommendations. As you should do.

Possibly you will suffer side effects until they work at five weeks, It is possibly you are in the early stages of taking the drug so your GP MAY increase it when He know how you are responding

B.

• Posted

i have just been prescribed same med 10mg . sounds like by reading posts ,it makes you feel worse with side effects before seeing difference .some of the side effects I already suffer tiredness ,panic attacks . so is it really worth starting the medication ?
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

I think a lot of people experience the same side effects you are experiencing but it might be worth sticking it out for a little while. I heard it can take up to a month to see any effects. I plan on sticking out the side effects at least for a good month and hopefully it kicks in. I hope it starts working for you.

• Posted

thanks ,
    • Posted

thanks   I guess need to try at least see if it helps , go with side effects .
  • Posted

Shawn,

I've been on cit for about 7 weeks now. The first week indefinitely has a placebo effect as I felt great within 2 days. After about a week I felt back to my crappy self. From there each week was a little bit better until last week. I've had a blip and have been debating upping my dose from 20mg to 30mg. My advice would be to figure out the best plan for you. Whether taking it at night works better than taking it in the morning etc.

• Posted

Thanks for your input, from what I've heard it tends to cause insomnia for some people so I'm debating taking mine in the morning or mid afternoon. That's always the hard part, deciding when to take it. I hope it's works for you.

• Posted

Any issues with constipation, please feel free to give insights!! Thanks.
  • Posted

Just thought I would let you know being as we are similar in our start dates. I started about 8 or 9 days ago now. Sleep has improved for me. Still wake up at about 2 or 3 ish but fall back to sleep again in time for my alarm. So, not as bad as when I started. Hopefully you will see a difference soon too. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Caro,

That's for the input, has it been helping your symptoms and do you suffer any other side effects besides the occasional insomnia?

• Posted

I'm also wondering if you take the pill in the morning or at night? Thanks

• Posted

Hi there. Yip, I take in the morning. My side effects were insomnia, if I slept I would wake up freaking out and having horrible thoughts. This lasted only 3 days. Just gaining my appetite back now. Lethargic too and also got a bitter taste in my mouth. All seem to have subsided somewhat. But I still wake up but go back to sleep. Best of luck to you. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the follow up, I will be starting tomorrow at noon to help combat any insomnia issues so by hopefully night time I'll be ready for sleep. I'm really hoping it helps my severe debilitating crippling depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.