Starting citalopram and taking alcohol

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I was prescribed 10mg citalopram two days ago for my anxiety and depression. I was just wondering, if I were to take it in the morning, would I be ok to have a small amount of alcohol in the evening? It's my last week at uni so I want to be able to enjoy myself too!

Regards

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

not the best idea with these sort of meds because it affects how they help you if you take alcohol with them.
  • Posted

I am on the exact same thing and I have been advised against drinking. Not sure how it would effect you since you just started the med. But alcohol is a stimulate that actually is awful for anxiety.

Ask a pharmacist

• Posted

I rang the pharmacist; he said its best to avoid alcohol as it has the opposite effect as the medication but it won't do any harm if I do drink.
    • Posted

For your celebration that's cool, bit I wouldn't make it a habit
  • Posted

Not a good idea. I bet the box says 'do not take alcohol with this medication' on it.

You can ask any pharmacist for an explanation why.

Or......................finish your last week at uni, drink what you like and then start the citalopram. The two taken together are a bad combination. They each affect different parts of the brain so you'll get no benefit from the citalopram if you drink whilst taking them.            Enjoy your last week! Love Tess

• Posted

Tess, I have a question. Have you ever heard of anxiety causing a very warm flush from m neck to y pelvic and even under my arms. I am at hospital now and blood pressure is high because of my anxiety of course.
    • Posted

The very warm feeling is internal not outside like a hot flash

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.