Starting citalopram. How it’s going so far

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I thought it might be nice for folk who are starting this med to read my view on the first days which seem to be the scariest for most folk.  I started on 10mg.  This is only day 3 and it’s really not been as bad as I thought.  I take it in the morning and for the first few hours I feel a bit spacey but nothing scary.  I don’t have much appetite which isn’t a bad thing.   I haven’t felt the need to sleep but I definitely feel I want to lose myself watching tv.  The first day I felt it most but yesterday was milder.  I have little moments of feeling panic wave over me but I just keep telling myself it’s the meds getting into my brain and I do deep breathing.  Don’t be scared is my best advice if you are sitting staring at this med not knowing if you should take the plunge.   You feel like crap anyway so you have nothing to lose.   I got up this morning easily and I am looking forward to seeing how today pans out for me.   Today I feel really positive.  Xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Great positive attitute....keep it up 🙂

• Posted

Lol thanks manny.  Tomorrow I may be a gibberish wreck and flat on my arse but today I am managing.   One day at a time x 
  • Posted

I get these zaps of intense feeling of panic and I feel super hot.   That only happened once yesterday but it’s happened about 3 or 4 times today.  I am trying hard to see it rationally for what it is, just the meds building up, but it’s hard when it’s happening.  I have been thinking about work a lot today and i really need to stop that cos it’s soooo not helpful.   X 
  • Posted

Nausea has really kicked in tonight.   Feeling sick and really anxious and like my blood is hot or something, like prickly all over.  Not pleasant at all and feel like I could cry.  sad 
    • Posted

That's  how it was for me Laura only good thing about the nausea was I dropped 11lbs over the time!! Which I needed to. Great to deal to do this like a meds  journal!! Keep it up

• Posted

Thanks gilip.   I forgot I had started this actually lol.   So I am on day 6 now and this is the first day I can say I feel a lot calmer.   Some slight anxiety and the world still seems a bit odd but it’s far easier today.   Yesterday was one of the worst days for me, I attempted to go shopping which was foolish, I felt like I was in a space suit observing the world, it was quite surreal and very anxiety provoking, note to self to not be silly and take giant leaps at the moment.   I have found taking my meds first thing with a bit of toast helps the nausea and even though I don’t feel like eating (lost 5lbs whoop whoop) I make myself have a little of something nourishing.   I have had no problems sleeping but I do notice I go to bed and don’t feel tired at all but once I’m settled in bed I crash out easily.   My new fav thing is word puzzle games which is a great way not to focus on feeling odd, and it reminds me that by brain is not actually a cauliflower which is re assuring, I think if I was properly insane I wouldn’t be doing puzzles so easily.   Hope everyone is feeling ok today.   X 
  • Posted

I am glad you are still going ok! Yes I am taking it for depression and since being on it have felt a lot of anxiety!! I really think it is a side effect that hopefully will nick off soon!!
  • Posted

Nausea and toilet troubles smile are the first side effect to go for me, the spaciness gets replaced with tiredness which slowly goes away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.