starting citalopram this eve really nervous..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya ive been prescribed citalopram today for depression.

I have to take half a tablet a day 10mg for a week then up it to 20mg. 

Im really nervous about taking these as dont want to be to affected as I look after my two young children on my own.. Ive never suffered with suicidal thoughts or anything major. Just feel depressed. Any1 else in similar boat as me and can give me some advice or personal experience? :-) 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You are starting on a  very low dose and raising it slowly so your doc sounds like they are trying to keep side effects to a minimum.  Not everyone gets the side effects that you hear so you may be lucky and not suffer at all.  Keep fingers crossed.  As beta blocker can help when starting,  if you feel anxiety is really bad phone an d ask your doc for one. 

Good luck,  though you may not need it

• Posted

Hi Kerrianne,

It's a good medication and will definitely make you feel better.  It does take some time to adjust and you probably won't feel any major effects till you get on the upped dose and it gets in your system.  Just keep doing the things you would normally do to the best that you can.  It will all improve.

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Hi Kerrianne,

You have been px a low dose which shows the doc is taking care to titrate the dose slowly. Citalpopram IS an excellent medication for depression & does work, however, try not to stay on it for years like I have done. When I first started taking it, my anxiety levels increased a little, but this wore off in a day or two. Other side effects can be dry mouth, nausea, yawning but usually only happen while the body adjusts initially. I felt better for months & able to cope with my headaches I get daily. They usually advise to stay on it for at least 6mths after you begin to feel well. Although I have increased/decreased doses over the last 10+years, I have never been able to stop altogether. Psychologically = there was/is some sort of stress/worry that is ongoing & physically = I experience side effects when trying to reduce with a view to stopping. Some say "it doesn't matter, if you need them take them" but others advise no longer than a 12mth period & reduce VERY slowly. Some have been able to stop completely with very little problems. It is an individual thing. I would advise to be mindfull of all the advice given on this great site, along with professional advice (I am RMHN trained too). Try not to be too hung up on side effects & listen to what your body, mind & spirit tell you. Good Luck & hope the depression lifts soon Xx

• Posted

Hiya and thankyou for reply.. makes me feel more confident. Have taken first tablet feel ok so far. Fingers crossed :-) 
  • Posted

Hi Kerrianne,

It will be okay.  Just tell yourself that you are one the road to getting better.

Best,

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.