starting citalopram/trying to conceive, help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello, I've never posted on anything like this before... just looking for some help/advice?

I'm 25, have been suffering with depression on off since I was about 15 probably, but only in the last couple of months have I really started to feel it was time to do something about it. About 2 months ago I went to my doctors who threw everything at me, tried to sign me off work for two weeks, told me to self refer for therapy, and prescribed 20mg citalopram. I decided against sick leave straight away as its a new job, I enjoy it, and dont want to fall in to bad habits and find I cant go back? I am doing CBT group therapy for mood management... not sure on that yet, 3rd session out of 7 is this week. And havent yet started taking citalopram?? not sure why either!? however since going to the doctors, my boyfriends mum has been diagnosed with lung cancer and it is now terminal, my boyfriend used to be my support, but now he himself is quite understandably struggling, so with both of us like this life is just a living hell. Feel it may be time to go for the citalopram, but we are also trying for a baby! yes crazy maybe. doctors said it is fine to go ahead and take citalopram whilst trying to conceive? on the one hand I feel so noraml, im ok, I have a lovel family, boyfriend, friends, home, job, cat, life... I never know why im so so down. but I am, most days i feel so numb and empty and just focus on making it through the working day, I dont want this to effect my relatiosnhip. or my life/health. please help me! 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi holly sounds like you are going through a tough time. I've been on citalopram for 6 weeks for anxiety and depression. I did not want to take it but I'm glad i did because now I feel like a new person! My only worry for you is That if you started citalopram and you did conceive then you may have to come off of it while you are pregnant. I'm not sure if this is true I've heard that it is so you might want to check that smile

• Posted

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, that sounds like a really positive reaction, I honestly don't know why I'm so skeptical? Can't put my finger on it.

But now I am even more so due to trying for a baby obviously, but seeing as the doctor has said I'm ok to go ahead, I guess it's my judgement? Things are so bad now that I believe I would be taking them if it wasn't for the baby, and I would put that on hold but honestly I think that would make me spiral even more as my minds set on it? And not sure if I could be already. The side effects are what's niggling at me, have you had any? Mentally/physically? X

• Posted

Hi Leah hope you don't mind me asking did you get any side efrcts from citroplam and what dose are you on.im on 10 but it's only been 3 wks and doctor gave me a 20but worried bt starting it for getting more side effects.

• Posted

Personally I'd hold on the baby idea ..... having a child can be quite stressful enough (though amazing) and you need to deal with yourself first.

CBT and the meds will be a great help - though the meds aren't easy to take as you may feel much worse before it starts getting better.  They also take a long time to work - often months, not weeks - so you have to be very persistent and patient.

Do you have anxiety too or just depression?

• Posted

I know that I should hold off on that idea, but it is so hard now to get it out of my mind, and my partners, we are both going through rough times and feel like it's the only positive thing we have to hold on to.

I know my health and sorting myself out first is so important, and in supporting my partner too, which is why I'm trying to help myself here in asking the questions, I'm prepared to be patient but the possible side effects for myself do scare me?

My doctor did say it is fine, but I am still hesitant, I'm not sure if I could be pregnant as well, I've only been off my birth control 3 weeks?

I used to have really bad panic and anxiety but that's basically vanished since having a course of CBT a few years ago now.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, thank you so much x

• Posted

I was ill with depression and anxiety when my 2 were babies, and I do wish I hadn't been as I felt I missed out on a lot of the joy because I battled with anxiety and felt depressed most of the time.  Luckily I did start recovering when my 2nd was about 3 or 4.

Having children was the hardest job I've ever had to deal with - it was 24/7 - never having a minute to myself.  Not easy at all, but ..... I wouldn't have changed it for anything.  They're both in their 20's now and my best friends smile

If you do start the meds it might be best to do so before trying to conceive as initial start up on the meds can be really tough for some people, and I'd doubt you want to deal with that whilst in the early stages of conception and pregnancy.

Also get another opinion on taking these meds with pregnancy too.  I've read some people coming off them whilst pregnant, and yet again others taking them whilst pregnant.  Always best to check and recheck.

Yes you could be pregnant ..... I was off birth control only a couple of weeks before it happened (both times too).  Everyone is different ..... so who knows wink xx

If you decide to start Citalopram you could maybe start on maybe 5mg and work your way up if you're concerned about taking them (increasing by 5mg each time).  Each increase does cause side effects each time, but a small increase like that will reduce it.

Hope that helps. xxx

• Posted

My gosh thank you for such detailed response.

If you dont mind me asking, when you say you 'started recovering' from your anxiety and depression, what helped you in the first place?

I agree it might be best to start the medication first, and I like the idea of starting on a lower dose, as I have been given 20mg first off?

And thats really interesting about you becoming pregnant straight after the pill - sorry to switch problem - but I did take a test sunday and was negative. it will be 3 weeks this thursday that my usual break bleed stopped and then I didnt take my pills after, weve had sex nearly everyday for three weeks, and Im getting slight dizziness/nausea and an awful metallic taste in my mouth, but am aware they might just be symptoms of coming off the pill, body just feels odd. And im depressed... haha fun never ends xx

• Posted

I started recovering with the help of these meds plus I read a lot about anxiety which helped me understand what was happening to my body (have lots of books).  But the meds were the biggest part as it got me on the right track.

I recovered on 20mg - and when I withdrew last year I reduced by 5mg each time.  I bought a pill cutter and cut the tablet into 4, making each one 5mg.  My withdrawal took a year.  You really need to do this with your doctors advice too though - don't play with the meds alone when first starting out.

Yes - my husband always said we only had to blink and pregnancy happened biggrin  I knew before it was confirmed, because I kept feeling faint.  Yes what you described are pregnancy symptoms - but could be anything really.

• Posted

Thats good, and hopeful. I agree about the anxiety it was easier to understand about the cycle and stuff, depression im not getting so much, like why?

I do think I need this medication in my life just to stop the feeling of flatness that is becoming more and more apparent, and for some motivation, I havent been to the gym in weeks and I can barely be bothered with house work/I look a mess. 

I will ask my doctor about the amount I think?

And you are very very lucky, Im going to stay hopeful and wishful on that front anyway... thank you so much for all your help and advice smile xx

• Posted

Citalopram has been good for me I must admit.  I needed it at the time, so understand what you mean.

Depression can be due to all manner of things - even lack of Vitamins sometimes.  Before you contemplate Citalopram I can thoroughly recommend 5-HTP which is a natural SSRI and bought over the counter.  It has none of the side effects Citalopram has, and can be stopped anytime too without withdrawal.  However ... I'm no medical person, so would suggest you discuss it with your doctor first before trying anything ..... especially as you have been prescribed Cit.  You can't take both together by the way.

Would be kinder to baby too I'd imagine (again you'd need to check).

Just a thought.

K x

• Posted

Hello ! Did you start taking Cit 20mg?

And if you did how are you coming along?

I hope better ! - Ad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.