starting dose Vitamin D3

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently i been to the doctor and found i am low on b12 and D. The doctor perscribed me vitamin D3 capsuals 20,000 iu three times a day for about 6 DAYS ONLY. After this i should go down to an otc supplement. Just wondering is this amount normal dosage? And should i take something with it like Magnesium and k2? Im also on b12 tabs

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's a common enough total dosage for loading vit D - except usually in the UK they would say 20,000 IU x3 PER WEEK, you can take it all at once or on 3 separate days, for about 8 weeks before checking your vit D level again. So the total amount is about the same but I don't know whether the body actually absorbs such large amounts given all at once - it may do. Where I live the usual approach for low vit D is 25,000 IU per week for a few months.

• Posted

I am presuming from what you’ve said you’ve found the Facebook group Vitamin d deficiency uk? They are really helpful. When my d level was found to be 12 I was given similar amounts as you and when I first took them without the magnesium I felt awful. I believe your body can’t really use it without the co factors. Would recommend joining the Facebook group
    • Posted

I will check the group out, i have read loads that you need to take magnesium and k2 when taking vitamin D, but i dont know what dose i should take as im taking 60k?
  • Posted

Probably depends what your level was. Mine was very low. Took about a month to feel significantly better but still a bit up and down 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.