Starting flare?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I woke up today with lower left abdominal pain. It’s Sunday of Labor Day weekend, do I try liquid diet today and tomorrow and see what happens? I’d rather talk to Dr Tuesday. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

We are all different of course but with early morning pain if you do not have a fever and do not feel ill otherwise you should take a painkiller and stay on your normal diet unless you suspect it was caused by something you ate. Artichoke nearly did for me causing a major bleed (I think but cannot prove of course) . You get used to working through the pain i

n time.

• Posted

Hi, I am in the same boat. Labor day weekend! Over ate, drank a little, now pain. Yes, liquid diet lets your colon rest. I have had 5 attacks w no fever. Now I know if pain starts go liquid for two days it usually takes care of it.
    • Posted

Luz, did you also take antibotics during the liquids? Can ensure be one of them?
    • Posted

No antibiotics, I haven't had an attack in months. Of course if pain increases go to the Dr.

• Posted

I would ease up on food and as Jeremy said if no fever stay in bed and rest I was at hospital with infection on the fourth of July and due to lots of people off work it was about 5 hours before I got out of there with antibiotics
  • Posted

I’d go on liquid diet today . Use a heating pad on area. If it gets worse I’d go to ER.  
    • Posted

I like you woke up with pain on left side. I have been doing soft and liquid foods for months. So I kind of ignored it. Ate some watermelon , watched for seeds and now I have a big time pain. I can’t imagine. Had a sigmoidoscopy last week showing nothing. This is a miserable disease. Makes me afraid to eat anything. I know you all feel the same way. It’s so discouraging. But I think Brooke is right  Heat and rest is the best thing. God help us all!
  • Posted

The bowl up to the sigmoid is only 40CM long and I suppose that this could be clear. The colon up to the appendix  is much longer and would be examined by a colonoscopy and that could be where the DD is. A CT scan should also show it and how inflamed it is ie. you can deverticars which are not diseased and some which are inflamed/infected which causes the diverticulitis. Mine showed DD all the way to where my appendix would have been if it had not been removed. An operation was not an option.
  • Posted

Good morning Brooke how are you feeling?
    • Posted

Hi! No fever, but definitely more pain. I do NOT want to take antibiotics! I’ve only had one episode prior to this and then had colonoscopy which showed very mild DD, only in sigmoid colon. The antibiotics made me feel terrible, but I will say they got rid of the pain within 24 hours. Going to try to ride it out until tomorrow and talk to GI Dr then. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.