Starting Lexapro (5mg) tomorrow for Anxiety & Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been prescribed 10mg's of Lexapro but instructed by the doctor to start off with half a pill / 5mg. He wants me to take it in the mornings as well? 

I'm sort of in a rut, my Anxiety really peaked in 2015 but it has slowed down and gotten better over the years. I was kind of proud of myself for not coping with medication during the time but deep down I always knew I never felt normal. I think the depression just took over and that's why I finally pulled the trigger on getting prescribed some medication.

However, I have had a bout of anxiety again recently and I think it may have been from the Amitriptyline I tried to take, I just remember being super anxious when taking it and when I did, I felt doomed and started having bad thoughts again. The next day was fine but then once the second day came I was fighting off the feeling of a panic attack. 

So now I feel like I am back to square one in some way. Really hoping Lexapro doesn't give me the anxiety I was experiencing, very scared. Just wish SSRI's didn't have that phase where they are supposed to make you worse.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend taking the 10mg for a few days. See how you feel. 20 is high. And it made me pretty sick. I don’t take mine in the morning because when I first started it the head zaps, dizziness, and nasusea were so bad I couldn’t deal with it. I take it at night around 10pm everyday. It’s done wonders for me. I take mine for mood swings, anxiety, and Depression. I love it. 
  • Posted

Escitalopram is a fantastic med for anxiety, it is a strong med so starting at 5mg is perfect. For me, my anxiety started to lift just after the third day, I was pleasantly surprised. I’m on day 9 of 10mg and have to to take it at night because it makes me so incredibly drowsy, I should’ve started with the 5 as well. I read the package insert and I hope it is correct in saying that this drowsiness and other side effects should taper off after 14 days. Again, Escitalopram is a fantastic choice, be patient with it, Feel better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.