Starting lexapro but super sensitive to ssris

Posted , 4 users are following.

First off I hope it's OK I'm from the US.. Anyway Ive been super anxious for so long and doc gave me xanax prn than I started getting all kinds of physical symptoms lughtheadedness jelly legs eye twitching so he stayed me on Paxil no good worst side effects ever changed to buspar took it for4weeks and still felt horrible anxiety in the mornings then he tried effexor another no go. So after all this trying and failing I was super nervous to start anything else . Started seeing a psych got klonipin and anxiety calmed way down now I'm like a robot flat just started lexapro psych has me putting 5 mg in a glass of apple juices and using a syringe to take it little by little I take one tsp and I feel slightly jittery in my chest but very depressed I'm on day number two and I'm scared

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've been on lexapro in the past. Had weird feelings in my head (which felt like my veins were rolling around in my head), went off in about a month. Here I am almost 10 years later because my anxiety has gotten so bad, paralyzing anxiety. Depression left me feeling weak... so back on lexapro once again. Side effects, upset stomach, mild head pains, tiredness (which I take at bed time to help me to sleep) running to the bathroom close to ten times in an hr, diarrhea, flu like symptoms, sinus like head cold, always feeling thirsty to the point of feeling dehydrated. I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks now... heard all of this is suppose to lift. I sure hope so. I'm also on clonzapam 1mg to help with the anxiousness. I was scared too, still am. So I feel you there. I can't say weather it will get better or worse being on this medication, I'm still if'y about continuing it... I'm not liking the side effects. My depression has lifted a little, my uncontrollable crying episodes have lifted a little. But I don't know if the side effects are worth it for me. I felt like hell/death before but idk if this is any better.

• Posted

I am in the verge of stopping. I seriously have only taken 5mg in three weeks so why stay on something with having side effects in such a low low dose I took it down 1/4 and I feel it. Even the clonazepam isn't helping. Do you think taking it at night would help. I can t sleep through the night even after taking benadryl I'm so confused

• Posted

My doctor advised me to take at night, it does make me very sleepy after about 20-30mins... it does help me to sleep. I had such a bad time falling asleep & staying asleep. I'm some what considering going off of it once I see a new mental health doctor. I'm just not sure this medication is the right one for me. Sometimes some medications just aren't for you, & you have to try something else. I've been extremely sick for the past 5 months now with horrible anxiety & I guess depression even though it didn't feel like my depression was the problem. I've been put on so many different things in the past 5 months for anxiety, & this is the 2nd antidepressant I've been put on. First one was Zoloft. Suffered insomnia for over 2 days which had me in the er with uncontrollable crying episodes... & almost had me admitted to a mental hospital. Maybe try taking the lexapro at night & see how it works for you. If nothing changes I would get in with who put you on it & try to get put on something else, something that may work better for you.

• Posted

Had bad reactions to zoloft nausea and uncontrollable anxiety. Lofepramine, no help with depression or anxiety, duloxetine, made me into a zombie, seroquel augmentation gave suicidal ideation. Been on mirtazapine only 7.5 for 2 years but just gives a good sleep but i take diazepam with it.  Still no uplift from anxiety either.  Dr says i am ultra sensitive to meds, what do i do now? You sound as though you are having similar problems.  
    • Posted

Yes we sound alike. I'm at my wits end I can't Co to ur like this so what do we do. Everytime u say something to my doc he say up the klonipin to 2in the evening. It still doesn't he my. Morning anxiety I just want to feel "normal"at least one day so it gives me hope

• Posted

Oh yes, I know just what you mean. Extra diazepam didnt help me and the nausea is just unbearable.  Third different ssri over the years in between episodes.  All gave me bad side effects. Prozac nearly killed me.  What do you suggest - stop and start a different med?  Upping dose of this one fills me with dread. Feel totally lost and that drs dont carewhen a difficult case comes around.
    • Posted

I agree. I finally took a total of five mg. Took me a month. Seriously.... Even the klonipin isn't helping people notice and all I do is cry I force myself to work and I hate the way I feel there has got to be something or someone that can help us!

• Posted

Have told my cpn have stopped taking zoloft as cant cope with nausea and anxiety anymore.  Feel much worse stopping it hooemit will pass.  What is there out there which can help people like us. Every day just a struggle.  How many anti dep failures to endure can they prescribe. Keep strong
    • Posted

Stopped lexapro. Even with the little but I took Im still feeling icky possible w/d. Now Dr wants me to take nortryptoline. Not familiar with this too much but I'm too scared to start it maybe tomorrow hopefully your Dr can help soon

• Posted

Hi.

Wondering how you are going now?

I've been on Mirt for about 10 years. Switched to Lexapro 11 months ago cold turkey...one to the other with no withdrawal. It was a nightmare and although some days aren't bad, most are terrible..now have major stomach issues..seeing the doc tomorrow but im worried I can't tolerate any of them either...so worrying..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.