Starting lexapro help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am on my 3rd dose of lexapro. First night I took 10mg. I was extremely nauseas and had some anxiety. I called my dr and she told me to take 5mg. So I did that twice now, the. Nausea was better but I've been super anxious feeling all day , and it woke me up from my sleep, is this normal? Will it get better ? I'm feeling frustrated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello there, hope you are trying to relax a bit as you start your new meds. Firstly your doc should have started you on 5mg - from personal experience and the many forums I've read - for at least 2-4 weeks before going onto 10.  You will feel nauseas and strange as its a powerful drug that has to get into your system and start to take effect.  I think it was about 4 weeks until I felt some relief and started to think a bit clearer. you will get better but it takes time so try and be kind to yourself, eating well, exercise, long walks etc and let the drug start to take effect.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I actually did call her the first day and she said to take half, so I've been taking 5mg. Tonight will be my fourth dose. I'm trying to hang in there. I'm a little better today , aside from waking up at 5am nervous feeling. I hope this is worth it. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

if you can get through about 2 weeks then you'll be fine - its worth it as I found it really did help me when I was at a dark time, just the getting it into your system and then getting it out again bits can be a bit daunting.  Keep reading the forums (there are loads!) and you'll see that its something everyone seems to go through at some level.

• Posted

Awesome. Thank you so much. I'm trying my best to hang in there. Today seems better. Except when I woke up at 5am nervous feeling with anxiety. I hope each day gets easier.

• Posted

Thats one of the reasons i started on that drug as i'd wake up early and feel soo low and anxious and the drug dealt with that after a few weeks.  Now if I wake up 5am ish, I get up, make a cuppa and take it back to bed and I find that after that I'm falling asleep again until the alarm.  sometimes just getting out of bed for a while is enough to break the anxiety cycle and you mind gets clear again - all of this is tough but we are strong and will get through it.  You will be fine, just take it easy and cut yourself some slack.

• Posted

I appreciate that. Today seems better so far. Hoping it's only up hill from here. I have bad health anxiety for years. Hoping lexapro will help that subside and I Can live and be happy again

• Posted

So this lexapro has me waking up at 4:30 every morning .. and feel anxious when I wake up. Normal ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.