Starting meds today.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I posted last week regarding my hypothyroid symptoms. I was suppose to have a test next week but saw my GP today because this symptoms are worse. So he put me on a dose of levothyroxine 25mcg and I did bloodwork today. He says if my test comes back normal he's taking me off it. My last test was 4.3 that's all I know. Will get detailed results to put up here when I get them back in a couple days. Is it me or do doctors seem to not want to treat this and if so why?

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rick

I am unsure what the mlood result should be but you are entitled to a second opinion or to see an endocrinologist.

It sounds as though you are in the UK.

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean, I am in California. It's like my Dr. Put me on it to shut me up. Like I'm imagining all this. He's always been a good Dr. But seemed very impatient today.
  • Posted

Hi rick

Just a thought. Did you have the blood test before you started the thyroxine? If not, did you have the blood test before taking that day's dose?

Blood test T4 result will be artificially high and TSH result artificially low if you took the thyroxine tablets before the blood test.

• Posted

I had a blood test about 4 weeks ago and the only number I have is 4.3 which my Dr says was a small bit abnormal. Was gonna test next week but made appt today and discussed my symptoms with him. So he put me on .25 levothyroxine and while I was waiting for the Rx to be filled I did another test so it wasn't in my system yet. Should have results of new test by Friday and will post more detailed numbers. Thanks for reply😀
    • Posted

Hi Rick, 4.3 is likely to be the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone level. The ranges vary, depending on where you live, so really your 'normal' level is what it was before you became ill. Doctors tend to stick rigidly to blood results and don't treat according to symptoms. What does 'a bit abnormal' mean? There are guildelines in the UK about when to prescribe Levothyroxine. Do you have a similar thing in the US? If your doctor is not helpful or sympethetic, find one who is. You should be treated with respect. 
  • Posted

Hi Rick ive been on 25 for 3 months. Gp said i was borderline and my fear is he will try to take me off it too when i feel that i need more as its made an improvement but not enough. I inow it all depends on the blood tests but im hopeing im still below the threshold. 

• Posted

Yeah, I just started today and if my results are normal he wants me to stop but my symptoms are bad. I mean I know the difference between being out of shape and tired as opposed to working then sleeping the rest of the time and constant anxiety but he thinks I don't. Have you had good results and if so how long till symptoms let up? Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Rick

What does the 4.3 refer to?

My TSH was 0.17 in May and 0.16 in June.

I have a multinodular goitre. I do not understand why these blood results are interpreted differently by drs. Doctors are not supposed to just go off blood results but have to take the clinical picture as a whole this means looking at the patietns signs and symptoms in conjunction with tests.

Jean

• Posted

Hello Rick, 

I am an RN and live in the USA.  If your refering to your TSH as 4.3  normal is 0.34 to 5.60.  You would be in normal range.  Please get your complete lab results and post your TSH level and T3 & T4 levels.  Doctors like to get at least 2 blood draws in a 6 month period of time and your doctor is most likely going on your symptoms vs. your blood draw at this moment.  It takes the body about 2 months (6-8 weeks) before symptoms subside.  It takes that long to build a proper level.  Please let us know how you are doing in the next 2 months.

Be well.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi rick, I agree with Shelley, though if you can manage 3 months before the next blood test that would be good, as in my subjective experience that is how long it takes for the blood test to reflect your actual levels. When you post your results, be sure to post the range for each result as well because the range varies between labs. If your symptoms are really bad after 2 months then ignore the 'wait for 3 months advice'.
  • Posted

I was put on 25mcg as a therapeutic dose this greatly helpe me amd then the symptoms came back and I asked for a dose of 50mcg, the GP reluctantly gave me 50mcg and I feel better again after just a few days on higher dose.

I am also worried tht he may take me off them as I have to go back for blood test in 6 weeks and if I am normal levels i cannot have them.

I will not take my tablet the day before blood test so hopefully will be a low result.

The thing GPs dont seem to get is what was your blood level before your thyoid got sick, we are all different, the other thing is I know I feel better on levothyroxine and it couldnt be placebo effect as I have been taking them for months now.

Good luck Rick

• Posted

Hello Yorkrose:

I am an RN- Nurse and live in the USA.

A doctor should take into your diagnosis a few things.

1) Your blood  work as an Indicator tool

2) Your symptoms

3) Improvement/well being while on the medication

It would be sort of mal-practice of a doctor to take you off. A doctor can say I recommend you go to a lower dose, etc...you do have a say in your health care.  We all do.

If you miss one day of your med, it won't make you blood level that low. You would have to not take your med for a long while and I do not recommend that at all.  If you take it all the time - you have a proper level and you can't fool the lab on that.

Here is what I would do:  Tell your doctor very kindly, " I am feeling well on this dose and I understand the blood levels are okay, but I need the medication to keep me feeling normal.  I ask that you keep me on this dose and will sign any paperwork stating I know all about this.  I take full responsibilty."

Most doc's will let you stay on it.  Don't suffer, just be firm and explain yourself and how it is helping you.  Since the doctor is not YOU, you must explain how it helps and ask your doctor to consider and place more emphasis on your symptoms and not just a blood level taken on a date.  Blood work is just a snapshot in time and is usually used as a diagnostic tool.   It should not be the only tool. 

If the doctor is difficult to talk with -then find a better GP or Endocrinologist.  GP's do not exactly know thyroid problems as well.  An Endo goes to school for at least 3 more years in that specialty.  Some GP's do know a lot, it depends on the person.

Be your own advocate and explain how you feel on the med.  Doctor's are not us, we must explain how well or not well we are doing!

I hope this helps.  XO Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.