Starting Methotrexate this week

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have to start Methotrexate this week for my psoriatic arthritis.  I seen a post on here regarding weight gain and I am worried about this.  I am working very hard to lose weight (2 stone 6.5lbs off so far!) and I dont want to put it back on again!  I did ask the nurse and she said it shouldn't cause weight gain cause it is a low dose (starting off on 7.5 up to 15mg).  Anyone that has been on it for a while have weight gain?  What other side effects can I expect which the nurse perhaps hasn't mentioned?  Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am perhaps the right person to respond to your problem. Jam also along standing case of psoriatic arthritis - 25 yrs plus. After a major attack 15 yrs ago, when I bloated 30 kgs more and could hardly move. my physician put me on Prednisolone orally. We started with a very high dose of 40 mg per day. The results were dramatic and within 48 hrs. Then he tapered the dose slowly over a fairly long time. About thirteen years ago he introduced Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and reduced further the dosage of Prednisolone. For the last 12 years I am on Methotrexate 10 mg once a week and Prednisolone 5 mg daily without any side effects. I do watch my diet and do exercise daily for at least 1 hour without fail every day of my life. I am 75 years old now and leading an active life. So do not worry much about weight gain per se but listen to your physician's advice always. Rgds

• Posted

Congratulations on your huge achievement. From my own experience I lost weight on methotrexate. It makes me feel a bit 'yukky' the day after I've taken it and I have less energy.... To keep popping to the fridge!! Seriously I've been in it about 2 years and at the beginning I lost half a stone. My weight has now stabilised but there's no reason you can't continue, as the other lady said, to follow a balanced diet and exercise.

The side effects are different for everybody. Some people get none at all. Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones.

If you get side effects (like I said I just feel a bit yukky) then tackle them one by one. Certainly use this forum. I have had the best advice on here for when I have had them and also make a note of them for when you see your Rheumy. Sometimes getting to your Rheumy can be difficult so also seek doctors advice if anything unusual happens. My first side effect was mouth ulcers which I no longer get but that sort of thing you should see your doctor. There is a section in the methotrexate leaflet on side effects (I wouldn't read through them) but I would read the 'go straight to your doctor if' part. Just to make yourself aware of any side effects which should be reported straight away.

I hope you are one of the lucky people who tolerate this drug and with no, or minimal side effects.

Good luck on your journey

Lisa

🤗??

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. I had my first dose ladt week. Othet than it knocking me out and a terrible headache next day no other real side effects. I have been tired this week which has made me crave bad food. Im hoping though oncenits in my system for a while the tiredness will go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.