Starting Methotrexate this weekend

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi from Alberta Canada !! I was just diagnosed with inflammatory and ortheoarthritis and some fybromyelgia  (sp) anyhow I started taking folic acid and Plaquenil today and start Methotrexate this weekend and to say I am so scared is an understatement. I am doing 20mg orally , I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best of course. So by reading some stories it sounds like many get sick from it with the odd person having no side effects, anyhow I just wanted to say hi and share my worries, concerns etc I have been kind of teary eyed off and on the last few days worrying 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice

I was diagnosed with Psoratic Arthitus last August 17 and started on Methotrexate in October 17. Because of the absolute terror I was feeling about this, my nurse started me on a lower dose of 10mg, then 15mg then 20mg. Between August and October whilst waiting for the drug, I googled Methotrexade like crazy. I heard that with the tablets they make you feel sick as they have to digest through your stomach, so when I went to my first appointment I said I gag really bad with all tablets and they make me feel sick. So they prescribed me Methotrexate (MTX) in injection form. It goes straight into your blood stream and you miss out a lot of the nausea.

For me, MTX has been a wonder drug. My psorais has completley gone and my fingers and hand affected by the Arthitus.

I inject on a Tuesday evening before bed and sleep through any instant affects you may feel. On Wednesday's I may feel a little tired and a bit nauseous, but by Thursday I'm fine and getting on with my week. I’m now starting to forget that I take MTX. There was a time when it would never leave my mind!

On a Friday and Saturday eveing I enjoy a few glasses of wine. My blood results always come back fine.

Im 33, female, and I have 2 boys, aged 2 and 4. I need my hands to look after these crazy boys!

You will be closly monitored by the hospital and it really will be fine. I would suggest the injection over tablets but thats personal preference.

Good luck and please ask me anything. 6 months ago I was in the same situaltion as you so I really do understand what you are going through xx

• Posted

Thank you, I filled my prescription so will take the pills first and see how I react, if it isn't good I will start the injections, I hate needles hahaha Where do you inject yours? Abdomen?

• Posted

Not to worry it’s a small dose and I have taken it for 7 years has helped so much. I wish you well on your new journey this med will help give you peace and healing. I take cymbalta for FM helps calm all the  pain down a lot. I was so surprised that between the two I sleep better and move easier with a lot less pain. So there’s a lot to look foreword too! 
    • Posted

Thanks, I am scared but also excited now after reading your reply, thanks so much ;-)
  • Posted

Hi Janice,

Like Stacy I went for the injection, though it made me feel sick.  Don't worry.  There are lots of options available in Canada so if one makes you feel sick or does not work, move to the next one.  It took me several until I finally found one that worked.  It is a biologic and expensive, but BC medical covers most of it.  There might be a similar program in AB.

Justin

• Posted

Oh pet please calm down, you will be fine.....better than fine 👍

Ok, worst scenario, it’s a fairly high dosage to start on, here in UK we usually get started taking 5mg then it’s increased every few weeks this limits side effects. I personally couldn’t stomach even a low dose of Methotrexate so was shown how to self inject once a week, which is brilliant as it bypasses the stomach. I have zero sickness but still take my 5mg of folic acid every day except the day I take my injection. I wish I had went on this drug years ago but like you, after I read up on the side effects I was terrified and thought no way! I was wrong, very much so. In fact I now wish to be on Methotrexate forever 👍 Make sure you get regular blood tests from your general doctors especially tests for liver and inflammation indicators. I’ve not had a cough, cold, flu or anything since being on this even although I was warned my immune system would be lowered by taking Methotrexate I can honestly say I’ve never looked back! It’s no cure, but without it my life would become unbearable again so you just stop worrying pet and give it a go under supervision of course! I have in the last year eliminated all Dairy, citrus and limited my caffeine intake as recommended. Almond milk fab so not missing out. Remember to use higher factor sunscreen when on Methotrexate as your skin will become photosensitive and you don’t want to burn. Anything else I can help with give me a shout but you will be fine pet honest just get back to doctor if your tummy starts to bother you. Personally I much prefer 1 wee jag a week it takes 10 seconds and doesn’t hurt at all. Take care xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.