Starting mirtazapine anyone used this before?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I started taking mirtazapine 15 mg after going back and forth to dr as I cant seem to shift insomnia and been getting more and more anxious and depressed. He gave me 2 weeks worth of zoplicone first but they only worked for first few nights and was never gonna help me in long term anyway.I only took antidepressants once 4 y ago had

horrific side effects from citalopram hence dr prescribing these.So far had no increased appetite,been sleepy and drowsy next day but still waking up at night just exausted.

I know week is not a long time but anyone tried this before,how long till it works? Can it really help both anxiety and depression?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think its the same with all SSRI I found CIT unbearable latest a few days. Sertraline was great years ago but I tries again and reacted to it second time. Now on fluoxetine and start up been awful still tired and spaced out which I hate but they are doing a job, lifted depression and feel more human. Lesser of two evils I suppose sad hopeful I'll get used to them. Today is 5wks 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply.Yea i think I could deal with tiredness if i was feeling better in general but it doesnt knock me out to sleep and i still feel drowsy.Just need more time I guess.
    • Posted

I'm really spacey and sleep a lot and its been 5weeks. Depression OK but anxiety is a constant back feeling I have to push away. Ul get there give it at least 4weeks x 
  • Posted

In the 20 years I had depression I would never take sleeping pills even though I have severe insomnia.  They scare me.  I have been on so many different anti depressants, and other times, tranquilisers and beta blockers.  The more piils I took, the worse I felt. 

Now I am medication free, and managing to cope.  I have been so very, very ill with depression and anxiety, but I want to try and manage without drugs. 

I was on an anti depressant that stopped anxiety and depressio9n for a long time, but I wont say which one as we all react differently to drugs, and what suits one person may not suit another.  Thing is it took a long time to withdraw from so not to get any withdrawal symptoms, so would not recommend for the reason so difficult to withdraw from. 

I have learnt to live with a few hours sleep a night.

• Posted

Sleep depravation is not nice I know, my sleep is hit or miss at the moment I can be lying awake for hours usually until 3.30am but I try and stick to the same sleep routine by going to bed at the same time with a cup of hot chocolate, watch some TV and either start to nod off in which case TV off and away I go, or just can't get off in which case it's tough.

Had about 4 hours last night but whilst I feel like a nap I'm not going to rather go to bed a bit earlier tonight.

• Posted

Thanks for replies guys.Its not just insomnia Im worried about I think its just a result of me feeling worse and not being able to sort myself out. I have only used antidepressants on one occassion and came off them too early just to crash down again a few months later lol but suffered with depression most of my life. I have always tried to be strong enough and try every way possible to deal with it but last 6 months has just been getting worse,im loosing my temper,always feel low,teary and started getting worried im not looking after my little one as good as I feel I should. So talking to GP was my last resort and honestly,think I should of done it along time ago. I hope mirtazapine takes edge of a bit and I can get my life back,I know its not a magical pill but I cant do it on my own anymore.
  • Posted

Id appreciate experiences of anyone using or has used Mirtazapine as well as that was my original question. I have been doing everything I can to improve my sleep and overcome daily anxiety for a very long time with no sucess wasnt just a case of me marching to GP demanding drugsrolleyes Got a feeling my query got misinterpreted a little bit here.thanks everyone.
    • Posted

Hi I started mirtazapine about 3 weeks ago I started on 15 and it completely knock me out so had to reduce to 7.5 then week later went up to 15 now I've settled on 30 . My experience wasn't great for first week felt very sleepy all the time but improved as I went up the doses before I started I could leave the house was just sitting crying all the time now I manage to leave the house a bit and my mood is a lot better then it was I would say I'm completely better as I'm t I still struggle with the thought of work but with out work I'm managing to do a lot more . They r different to srris . All I can say is they have helped me a lot and am hoping they will continue to do so .. 

Just bare with the start up side effects they will go 

hope this helps 

• Posted

Hey Im glad to hear its starting to work for you,thats good news.My dr gave me months worth of 15mg and said to review it in 4 weeks,i am so dopey during day but still not getting sleep. Thought thats immediate effect and will help with anxiety after a month or so. Ill stick with it and then see in 3 weeks time if i should change a dose. 
  • Posted

I was on mirtazapine 10 years ago for anxiety. I slept an awful lot and put on 3 stone. Way too heavy for me. I am getting an appointment with my GP to see if I can try pregabalin to replace the diazepam. I was also on zopiclone/zolpidem for years. I stopped taking them last year they are ineffective after a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.