Starting mirtazapine - side-effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I know many people have asked things like this before. I've just started mirtazapine - I actually started on it 3 months ago but gave up after just 2 days due to the side-effects. This time around I'm on day 4 but the side-effects are still really bothering me and I would welcome any advice about when I can expect them to lift - or when, if they still haven't lifted, it would be time to give up. I feel groggy, difficulty concentrating, light-headed, a bit dizzy, and also increasingly agitated. It was prescribed me due to both depression and difficulty sleeping. It has helped with sleep, I think, but since it still is making me feel nearly as awful as a lack of sleep I'm struggling with whether it's worth it. My GP said to give it at least 3 weeks. I'm on 15 mg.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It probably took me 1-2 months to really feel better if I’m being honest. It will help your sleep and you will feel more like yourself again. I was on for a total of 6 months.

I’m coming off now and it’s pretty uncomfortable, but hopeful it will be worth it in the end.

• Posted

I took 1 dose of Mirtazapine 6 weeks ago and had awful side effects.  Still do not feel right I would stay away from it! Try something else.... that is a weird drug! 
  • Posted

Hi! I've been on mirtazapine for about 2 years. I would recommend starting at 7.5 mg for 1-2 weeks (you can cut the 15mg in half), and work your way up that way. I think it was too much for your body to jump into the 15mg right away. Starting at 7.5 should help lessen side effects while helping your body adjust to the med. Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.