Starting Naltrexone

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to share that I started Naltrexone yesterday with a huge and generous amount of support from JoannaC3europe .... I knew I wanted to do this and received my prescription a few weeks ago but personal situations have meant I delayed starting. After my initial excitement at making the decision to take this route, the delays caused me much anxiety and I became really nervous that I'd experience awful side effects and so just felt I'd share my first 24+ hours with you and let you know how it's going .....

On Joanna's advice at about 3pm I had a big plate of beans on toast (I usually eat in the evening but was told a snack definitely won't be enough for the first few doses, and I wanted to follow the correct way to the letter!) then at 4pm with a shaking hand I took half a tablet (25mgs) and before I could change my mind, downed it with a pint of water - again following instructions drink plenty of water, then more half hour later! .... I am quite ok drinking water and also prompted by my underlying worry, actually managed to drink a further 2 pints at least .... I had a call booked with Joanna, and at 5.10pm I poured my first drink as I spoke to her, reassuring me all the way! ....

My first glass lasted 1/2 hour - twice as long as usual .... Over the evening I drank around half what I usually would, (my poison of choice is wine) and the last glass that I poured I only took two or three sips of and left the rest! I just didn't know really what to expect and struggle to explain the feeling, but it's almost like watching someone else being you! Like being drunk, but with a clear head!

I enjoy the taste of my drink - I don't set out 'to get drunk' I just find I can't stop once I start - and yet yesterday I did! ....

I didn't sleep particularly well, but don't always anyway and so it's difficult to say Naltrexone caused that - although when awake I did feel just slightly woozy and anxious but nothing serious, and I found I did sweat a lot till quite late (around 7am)

I have just taken my 2nd tablet (have eaten and drunk the water) ... Joanna said any side effects are worst on the first dose, and so I feel less anxious about anything tonight ... moving forward now - I know this can take a good few months, and that some days may not be as good as others - but I have hope now, that I can stop destroying myself, and start to look forward to being healthy again !

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Excellent Kerry that you have got to grips with starting TSM , if you follow all Joanna's sound advice you should be fine.As others have said you may at some point have a rebound in your drinking which is quite usual.It happened to me in the first few weeks and i was a bit annoyed with myself but it didnt take long for me to realise that I wasnt failing and it was just part if the process.

Sending you very best wishes for this amazing journey 😊

• Posted

Thankyou Nat and all of you prepared to comment and support the beginning of my journey .... day two went well - I drunk about half what I normally would and am feeling positive :-)
    • Posted

That is the feeling you need Kerry - "positive" - it gives you motivation.  Good on you for dealing with this head on - we will not be beaten smile

• Posted

So very glad that TSM is working for you Kerry. Keep us posted of your progess. I am very interested to read about others experiences of TSM

Warm wishes

JulieAnne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.