Starting on 10mg of Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am weaning myself off fluoxetine as it interacts with another drug i take. i have been down to 10mg for 4 weeks now. i am wanting to start citalopram instead. my doctor has given me 10mg tabs and says stop the fluoxetine for a few days then start the 10mg per day of citalopram. i am worried about initial side effects whilst starting the new drug also bear in mind any side effects from coming off fluoxetine. There will be an overlap but maybe as 10mg is so small i wont feel much so not much to be worried about. Can anyone help on this matter? Has anyone had to do this. Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I did exactly the same but came straight off the flux & onto the 10mg Cit. I suffered quite badly with side effects for a month but gradually improved & then stepped up to 20mg.

I'm glad i did the Cit is better , for me anyway.

• Posted

i was on mirtazapine before citalopram i left it 3-4 days between changing without taki g anything , this is my second time on celexa so i have tryed it both ways , ill be honest i have suffered a lot of the usual side effects i think the worst one is the total loss of appetite from day one , i am just about to up my dose to 20mg week 3 , everyone is different with the side effects and i think i am just one of the unlucky ones

• Posted

Hiya thanks for your reply. Could you tell me what are the 'usual side effects' that you experienced? Many thanks

• Posted

dont you hate coming off med to only come on again.just wondering.

• Posted

well both times ive been on celexa i suffered loss of appetite, insomnia, , head pressure, night sweats, panic attacks , constant yawning, fatigue , it does fade and i wouldnt let it put you off as like i said each person is different , a friend of mine started 20mg and had no real side effects at all just the yawning and fatigue

• Posted

like i mentioned in another post it was not how i planned it to be, i used to work away and found it really hard getting appointments at my doctors then it came to a point where i had run out , when i went back to the doctors i explained i was terrified of starting back on celexa as it was totally out of my system, when i ran out i actually believed i was ok and didnt need them (how wrong i was), the doc prescribed mirtazapine as its known not to have as many side effects , but no i dont like swapping and and i wish i had took it more seriously the first time around

• Posted

me too, i know i have to stick to it this time and bare with the side effects as its worth it in the long run , it really cant be good for you swapping and changing anti depressants

• Posted

changes of antid.takes a toll on your nervous system.that is why i rather stay on my med for life.

• Posted

i sympathise with you. I thought id be ok coming off fluoxetine. its fine while its still in your system and working but at some point it starts to feel crap and in my case i got scared and felt and feel very low. i feel i need to try the citalopram. Fluoxetine inhibits the effectiveness of a drug I take for cancer which I had not so long ago so it is important to make the effort to change.

Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.