Starting on Citalopram 20mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Partner has just been perscribed Ciktalopram 20mg for "Low Mood".

She is in general good health for a 79 year old lady.

She only takes a further blood pressure tablet.

What can I expect as she starts her journey with this drug?

Any comment would be welcolm.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

She should definitely start on 10 mg, of course checking with her doctor first. I know over 60 they usually start at 10 mg. In my experience when you start them they make you feel more anxious but that will go away. I've taken them for 7 years and they work well for me.

Good luck to her!! Tell her to hang in there while she gets used to it. All will be okay.

• Posted

I too am on Citalopram, while there is no fix for the low mood these tablets do take a while to notice a difference.

Be patient with her she may feel more anxious abnd low while taking them, i too still have bad days and i have been on them for over 3 months.

I find journalling my thoughts help, buy her a special book, can be anything. find a blank paged book with pretty flowers or something on it and tell her to write down how she feels. when she has tell her to hide it in a safe place. if she wants you too you can read it. mine stays in my car that way no sticky beaks get into it.

most of all if she wants to talk listen and dont tell her she is being silly or being a drama queen.

i hope this helps and good luck on your journey together.

• Posted

We're now discoverered that she has a B12 deficiency so maybe she will be taken off them?

• Posted

You will need to give the medication time to work upwards of four weeks. There will be a script in the box explaining about the drug and any side effects She may have. and generally side effects may cause some problems.

Because of the ladies age if you have any problems call your Practice straight away and explain the side effect, Some GP Practices now do appointments on the phone. That may be a good way to get an early reply

I am in my mid sixties now and on the same dose, I have been on the drug now ten years and they do work over the long term.

• Posted

Barden

I agree with other comments that 20mg is too high a dose to start on . I was prescribed 20mg & had a nightmare for the first two weeks my GP was unaware that this would have been the case.

Everyone's experiences are different though so you partner may be fine .

I was prescribed it for low mood though I've always been fine normally & it has fixed me up fine .

Good luck

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.