Starting on citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new to all of this but I have been reading through the comments and it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I have been taking 10mg citalopram for 7 days now, I'm not sure if I have noticed a change yet. I am suppose to increase to 20mg but am unsure as I don't want to experience any side effects. I've only been experiencing a groggy feeling in the morning, when I wake in the morning I'm in a weird dream where I think about all these terrible racing thoughts ( not sure if that's the tablets or my depression) and I have been suffering with restless leg syndrome. Just thought I'd share my experience so far..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi lindsay92679, it can take long for citalprom to start working, sometimes 3 weeks or 3 months just depends with your body, and genes, side effects affect people different, try to read a leaflet that comes with the tablets, cheers feel free to chat on anything its a good site .
  • Posted

Hello! Well it's your decision to either keep on with the 10 mg for awhile longer if you want to but I've heard that 20 mg is the therapeutic dose for depression. I've been on Citalopram before and got off of it this summer and now I'm in a deep hole. I really need to go back on it but I'm scared of the side effects. It seems you've been having really mild side effects and I think that's good. They will eventually pass if you keep going. smile I think I should take my own advice! Haha. But I really hope you do get a benefit out of this med. If you feel no different, then that is a sign that you might need to dose up to feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsay,

So you took the plunge! It was a very big step for me going on to citalopram. I'd been on St John Wort for years without any side effects during or coming off. The fact you havn't had any side effects is very good indeed. Honestly I'd say you are in the minority there. This looks very promising. For me, side effects started day 1 with 24hr sedation for weeks. You are in a better position as you can delay upping to 20mg because the citalopram isn't making you fell any worse. I'd say they take about 2 months before depression starts lifting. They seem to work day 1 for anxiety related issues. When you do eventually come off them, in my experience the 2 months withdrawl period isn't anywhere long enough. In terms of dreams, yes I too have had weird and scary dreams with citalopram.

• Posted

Yeah I took the plunge.. I never really agreed with anti depressants but then again I never really understood depression until I had it. Things got bad I had to do something and if that meant trying medication then I'm willing to try it.

I've only been on them a week and I have been given two packs of 10mg. I haven't been given a time to come off them, just to go back to the doctors and see where I am after a few weeks. From what I've read on here people seem to see progress within a couple of weeks/ a month which i am hopefully about. I'm just worried that if I do up my dose I will start to feel more side affects. I think I might give it another week to see if I need too. Thanks for your comments, it's so nice to have some support when your new to this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.