Starting on Escitalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone started on Escitalopram (Lexapro) and not had very bad side effects? I have just changed to Escit from citalopram successfully because they are both SSRIs but wondering what these drugs are like taken from scratch? They are new and improved version of cit ,so wondering about other people's experiences?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Felis, I made the switch also and no problems to speak of, not that I like being on AD but Escitalipram is great for me! Good luck!
    • Posted

I've been on these Escitalopram tablets now just over two weeks and really feeling well but I had already stabilised on citalopram.im hoping to lose some weight but have to get over the chocolate binge I had over Easter!

Thanks for your comments

• Posted

Ive never taken them but have heard they're like Citalopram, have less side effects and work faster?

xx

• Posted

i was really scared of switching because the citalopram has worked well for me but the Escitalopram seems to be working well too!
    • Posted

Someone else on here was struggling on Citalopram, and though I knew they'd work for him eventually, he swapped to Escitalopram too and started feeling better within a couple of weeks.

They sound quite exciting!  Let us know how they go :-)

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate!

You seem super level headed and reassuring and always give good advice.

I was wondering if you might mind taking a look at the topic I started, called When do I know if it is working or if I need to switch (or something along those lines).

I am at week 12, upped my dose from 20-30 almost 5 weeks ago and just feel awful still. Spent all day yesterday crying and hyperventilating. I really thought I would feel a bit better by now. I have maybe had a couple afternoons here and there where I felt a bit better and hopeful.

I am going back to my doctor a week this Wednesday so definitely will talk to her about this. I am just wondering if by now, I need to switch my meds. Sigh. Such a discouraging thought.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi sweetmere

Just checked your post and see I have replied now :-)  xx  Its hard to see if the meds are working for you, until they actually do.  Seeing as you've had a couple of afternoons already where you've felt a bit better sounds like it is beginning to work.  That's how it often starts - getting little glimpses of 'normality' here and there.

Personally I'd give these meds longer.  You've come a long way already.  Sometimes people do switch meds when they feel theirs aren't working, but they do it too soon and often too many times, making their body confused.  You really need to stick with one meds for many many months.

K x

• Posted

As you can probably tell from the name, citalopam is a prodrug and escitalopram is the actual active metabolite. So in theory they should be similar, however everyone is different and sensitive is so mnay ways , so not trying to be dogmatic at all just pointing out some basic chemistry.

I have well wishes and I respect the courage of the people on here

• Posted

Thanks for the comment I appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.