Starting on HRT

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI - after alot of debate I have finally taken the plunge and started taking Kliofem HRT.  I am currently in my 3rd week of taking and my hot flushes have virtually stopped and I'm managing to get 6-7 hours sleep which is absolute bliss after managing on only 3/4 maximum for the last 2 years.  I am a single mum of 51 and have 2/3 different jobs which can be extremely tiring so sleep is a major issue.  However, I have now started having a period which I was not expecting and quite frankly don't want. It's been 18 months since I last had a period and I'd forgotten how restricting they can be.  Has anyone had the same thing happen to them?  I'm hoping that my body will settle down and the periods will stop  .  Can anyone out there let me know if this has happened to them and convince me that I should stay on HRT!  Oh to be a man!!! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amanda,

I havent' had this happen but have heard that it can, perhaps you may just need to have your doctor adjust the dose.  Worth a call into them.  Glad you are feeling better xo

• Posted

Hi Loretta - I have been back to the doctors and she said that it's still early days for me and just to wait for a month and see if things settle down.  It's all so new to me and quite a big decision to make I just wondered if the same had happened to anyone else.  I think I'll do as she recommends and hope that it sorts itself out.  thanks
  • Posted

Yes mine came back with HRT.

Annoying when you have not had them for a while but a small price to pay for feeling so much better I think.

• Posted

How long have you been on HRT and have your periods been regular eversince you started on HRT or did they eventually stop?
    • Posted

I use oestrogel and Utrogestan.

I read a lot before I asked to try it and the gynocologists were saying that you will bleed on it for about a week.

My GP said you may or may not. I'm coming up to three months on it.

I take the progesterone part separately 12 days of the month and bleed from day 8 and stop the day after I finish taking it.

They are slightly heavier than my own ever were.

I think some women take a lower dose of the progesterone for 24 days and don't get a bleed. But taking it the way I am I at least have a good idea of when the bleed will happen.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I have been on HRT for three months and like you really didn't want to take it but felt my quality of life was unbearable.

I had a little bleed but that was it, I haven't had nothing since.

Hope this helps as I was so nervous about starting with HRT. My patches sat on the kitchen table for a week before I stuck one on.xx

• Posted

Thank you Ruth - it took me 4 weeks and 3 visits to a male doctor before I plucked up the courage to start them.  I'm just hoping that the bleeding will stop and my body will settle.  I am on tablet form and I take one a day with no gaps so fingers crossed I'll be skipping back to the doctors to get my next prescription in a couple of months.  I'll keep you posted x
    • Posted

Glad you spoke with your doctor. Give it time for your body to adjust. Hopefully you are reassured that all is fine after you spoke to your Doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda. Yes I had a period when I started HRT but havn't had one since, so hopefuly you should settle!

I love HRT & would not come of it, I feel normal again. We dont need all this stress in our lifes with the change, the hot sweats felt like torture with the constant waking up. Have a chat when you go back if it continues! Good luck XX

• Posted

Hi Barbara thank you for your comments. Its so reassuring to know that other ladies are going through the same as me. It really helps to read these. Hopefully my body will settle and Iwill wonder what all this worry was for x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.