starting Orlistat tomorrow - HELP

Posted , 6 users are following.

extremely worried about side affects and that i dont get a weight loss. honestly been following a low fat and carb diet since Jan and struggling big time. anyone got any advice they can give me x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I think that you need to follow the way Oralist or Xenical works ie check everything you eat for fat content, many use a fitness pal app which you can put in what you have eaten and it will work it  out for you, I have a Collins -Little Gem calorie counter and although I am not counting calories it also has a column for what fat is in a 100g per item.  No more than 15g of fat per meal and  look at the fat content per 100g no more than 5g, I believe.  Britneyspears is a great help and has lost so much weight an inspiration put in Xenical as you may find posts by her with regard to ideas for meals.  I had awful wind when I first started them but that has stopped now, if youv'e got a furry friend blame it on them lol.  I have been on them for 4 weeks Monday gone and lost 12 lbs very happy I know many have lost much more than me, they do work smile  If you go over with your fat content then you will be racing to the loo I overate brazil nuts a definite nono and never have experienced anything like it.  I have smoothies for breakfast cause I really like them  and I throw in whatever fruit I have ie apples, pears, banana's, strawberries, kiwi's, limes, pineapple, grapefruit with a spoonful of 0% yoghurt and some cinnamon delicious, you can have porridge or a slice of toast 0.8g of fat per slice with a banana whatever just check your fat content.  I made a delicious stir fry last night used my pan that does not require frylight spray threw in diced courgettes, onions, red peppers, shredded cabbage, Amoy straight to wok rice noodles0.8g fat, prawns and sweet chilli sauce all under my allowance and then had some strawberries with a chocolate Alpro (2.4g fat per 100g) it really makes you check out the fat content, spending far longer in the supermarket than usual but its well worth it in the long run.  I am as I said only 4 and a bit weeks into this and have been on Slimming World, Weight Watchers in the past and this is just plain common sense to cut right down on my fat intake yet for some reason I was not doing it.   Sorry to have harped on and if you can try some exercise swimming walking to shift more weight all well and good, this site is really helpful and very encouraging smile 

• Posted

thanks maureen777. my diet is normally meal replacement shake (breakfast) & bananna. lunch is soup or chicken & rice and dinner can be turkey and rice. Just trying to see what is best.

Guess the best things to stay away from are: pasta, cheese, mayo, oil, butter, take away and packaged foods?

• Posted

Pasta is fine. The rest in your list are not! I have a low fat caesar dressing and occasionally add just one tablespoon to a salad, and that's fine. I have pasta with tomato type sauces, not cream ones.
    • Posted

im glad about the list must mean i understand what i need to do then. and always good to know i can have pasta. is there anything else i should miss that i havnt mentioned?

• Posted

What a load of nonsense (stay away from fruit!) i would rather eat natural sugar than processed sugar seriously are you even on these tablets? also these tablets cannot tell the difference between 'good' and 'bad' fats.

Drink lots of water lots of fruit and veg no more than 5g of fat per 100g no more than 15g per meal use frylight for cooking. I have posted lots of helpful posts if you use the search bar up the top.

I eat lots of fruit and have lost over 100lb on them and have nearly finished my weight loss fruit ha worked for me! if you need any other help just post back x

• Posted

Can I just say I due to start these on Tuesday but reading all your postings has made me feel so much better and you given so much info it's brilliant. You have done incredibly well in losing weight and hope I can follow in the same steps. 😀
  • Posted

oh yes and also i ate the way i would eat on the tablets a couple of days before i started incase you have a lot of fat in your system otherwise you might get the side effects x
  • Posted

No cheese apart from cottage or laughing cow light, you can eat pasta etc i think there is a lightest mayo i don't eat it probably taste of plastic low fat auces like that are never the same as the full fat ones i use yogurt a a dressing. Is your shake 5g fat or under? you can eat ready meals if you do eat them they just have to be within the rules there are a lot of foods you can actually have you don't have to restrict yourself
  • Posted

thank you for the [email]help@britney[/email]spears. ive been using my fitness pal for over a week now to record food to ensure my fat content is low and as per the guidelines. im starting tablets tomorrow as off work and to suss them out. do you mind me asking what size you were when you started? i have been following a good diet since jan and not having any results so this is why doc has prescribed them. im worried they wont work sad

• Posted

Hi Emma, your welcome i use MFP too. Yes definitely start them when your off incase you have any leftover high fat from previous. I was a size 24 now a 12-14 but 14 is now baggy on me. They will work just eat the right amount of fat otherwise you will get side effects.How much have you got to lose?  I have posted before on here what i eat etc if you need anymore help please just post back x

• Posted

What is Mfp? I'm 14 stone, well 13.9 now as lost 5llbs this week just dieting. Start pills tomorrow and hoping to be 8 stone by Xmas. Think it's asking a lot just hope they work x 
  • Posted

Hi it's my fitness pal (MFP) It's not asking a lot just be prepared to stick to it and it will work i have lost stones with these and have stuck to them religiously. I took it stone by stone some months you lose more others less even with a small loss it's better off than on and with every stone i lost i would treat myself to something it's important to reward yourself. It's one of the best things i have ever done good luck and let me know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.