starting paxil again

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had slowly taper down from 30mg on my paxil for 6month. When i was on 5mg for 3 week i felt that my throut was drye and after that i felt like it was hard to swallowing my saliva. But after 2 week i felt like it was better and i dont have any problem but i cant stop focus on my swallowing. I know there should be a sensation when you swallow but you should not bother about it. I asked my doctor to start paxil again but its gone 1 week and nothing happen with my problem. Is it like starting over again when im had this slow taper and almost stopped paxil. Do i have to wate 6 - 7 week again to feel better?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately in my experience, with Paxil, lexapro, lamictal, and many others, the answer to your question is .... Yes. You will feel SOME relief the further into the tapering process you get, but you probably won't feel the full effect until you have been at your full strength dosage for one-two weeks. I'm not a doctor. Just a person who has had extensive experience with myself as well as every other member of my family on just about every mental health drug that currently exists. And I do extensive research on them. All the time.

However, as for your dry mouth, I may be able to help.

There is this toothpaste and mouthwash, called biotene. I take a lot of mouth drying meds. I hate the way the stuff tastes, but it's not horrible.

I also recently discovered some lozenges called Thera breath. They help A LOT. You suck on them and one can give your relief for up to four hours (it's says on the box, I haven't actually timed it, but I know they help me for a while). Be aware that constant dry mouth can lead to dental hygiene problems. Without saliva to fight bactiera and such, you can be more prone to certain types of gum issues and I think thrush too. But I'm not sure on that one.

Drink water. I know people get sick of hearing it. But, I feel better when I drink my full four glasses of water everyday. (They are 20 oz each). My hubs fills them at night and sticks them in the fridge. And I just try to drink each one by around a certain time each day. (10, 1, 5, and bedtime.) be aware that if you are drinking other drinks, they don't count towards your water intake. They make you less thirsty but they also make your body work harder to process them, so you are really taking moisture from your body instead of giving it. I have found that if I drink my water first (except my morning coffee, duh! 😉), I am actually less incline to drink as much soda, etc. There are also teas you can drink to help with dry mouth. I can't think of them off the top of my head though. But, pretty much any warm tea with (a ton 😉) honey, might help with your dry mouth.

Being on meds sucks. The side effects suck. But, not being on meds sucks more in my opinion. I used to hate having to take pills "to be normal". Guess what? I'm still not normal. It's about being able to live your life how you want and not be held back by a truly medical condition. Becuase a mental condition IS a medical condition.

• Posted

But do you think its like startiing all over again when im just have stopped my pills and started again. It took me 6 month to go down to 5mg and then i could not stand it and begun to taper up again.
    • Posted

But do you think its like startiing all over again when im just have stopped my pills and started again. It took me 6 month to go down to 5mg and then i could not stand it and begun to taper up again. I thought if I started again after I have taken my last pill its should take only couple of day to be back to normal.
  • Posted

I have halved my escitalopram/lexapro  from 20mg to 10mg and on second week and I feel great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.