Starting Perimenopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I think I am starting perimenopause.  to be honest i dont really know much about this.  At the moment I feel like I a bit of a fraud, but my symptoms are memory loss, tiredness, dizziness, I am so snappy with my family and I just dont know where to start to get help 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nikki

How old are you. I am in Post Menopausal right now but I have been tired cranky at times even torward my boyfriend and he does not deserve it he is good to me 

I would suggest you get the blood test to see if you are in peri menopause 

Try to take it easy 

• Posted

Hi Susan, I am 43.  I am going for blood test this week, i have heard though that the blood tests dont always show anything
    • Posted

Actually Nikki the blood test I had revealed that I was post menopausal there are blood test just ask your doctor I'm 46 
  • Posted

Welcome to the club, not one that we want to join! You're not a fraud, these symptoms are real and can present themselves in 30's.  If you ask your GP, he/she will likely dismiss it.  A fantastic book that makes you understand why we have all these symptoms and realise it is due to oestrogen decline is, "Screaming to be heard" Elizabeth Vliet, an American doctor who has been treating women with bio-identical hormones for many yrs, with great results. 

It it is all making sense to me now from this book.  I need to find someone close to home to get it treated.

Keep reading all of the posts on here, you're realise you are not alone, that in itself gives you comfort.

Good luck

Viv

• Posted

Hiya

Welcome! You'll get some great advice here from a bunch of women who know their stuff:-)

I joined around Xmas - felt I'd found my 'sistas' who knew what I was experiencing.

First have a good read about Peri -as I affectionately refer to it - on this site. You'll be amazed at how much you DIDN'T know about this long journey, or even associate with Peri/Menopause at all!

Worth going to see our GP? - Jury's out for me on that. Most of the ladies on here haven't had much support from theirs, but you might find it helps to let yours know how you're feeling/changing.

I'd lay money on Anti-depressants/SSRIs being offered! They're being used a lot in the UK to 'assist' during this time. Again, read up, get yourself will informed about symptoms/treatment.

I'm 54, and don't want to give you the hump, but although I know I'm completely Peri, I still get periods regular as clockwork: gutted! My sisters were all post-Meno a my age.

I'm not taking HRT - yet. I don't rule anything out but feel OK at the mo. But when I get sweat dripping off my moustache, I'll be banging on my GPs door:-) !!

I don't suppose it'd hurt for you to take a good Multi vit/min supplement. Vits B6&12 are good for your mood; something with calcium, Vit D, bit of iron, magnesium. I take MENOPACE ORIGINAL by Viabiotics but I know they do stuff for blokes, pre-pregnancy, wll-womn tc so I'm sure they do something aimed at you.

Honestly I hate taking any meds but my Menopace is my new BFF!!! How about giving some multi vits a go as a starting point?

Let us know how things go.

Sx

• Posted

HI Nikki!

I too, am not too up on what happens to a woman's body during this time. I was close to 14 when I had my first cycle and am going to be 54 this month. I don't think I would know if I start it even if it hit me in the face! My mom never discussed it when she went through it.

I agree that some dr.'s will dismiss your symptons and prescribe meds just for the heck of it. But there might be some that will actually take what's going on with you into consideration and treat you right... in more ways than one.

Like many things in life, if you're prescribe meds and experience adverse side effects, tell your dr. immediately! Some women react differently to some meds than others or what is considered "Common" effects. I know, my dr. put me on an hbp medication and told me that she's never had a patient who had such reactions. One pill doesn't fit all.

What I am trying to say is, keep a diary of what you experience, when and what you are doing when these symptoms occur and bring them to your dr. Ask questions. That's the first thing you should do. Thank goodness there's the internet. We can look things up and get instant information! And just let your family know that you're not taking anything out on them. They will be your best support system. Take things easy and don't think the worst! Talk to some other women that you might be close to who have gone through this. And just relax...this is just natural.

• Posted

Hi, thank you all for your help, I have seen so many things that relate to how I have been feeling.  Do you only get the symptoms leading up to your period or is it constant.  At the moment I have symptoms leading up to my period and during.  I get very light periods now as I have the mirena coil fitted.  
  • Posted

Hi, i managed to escape 3 months of hardly any symptoms, however they have come back with a vengence this month.  I have hard migraine like symptoms, nausea, exhaustions, lightheaded.  This time though I hope I have found a doctors surgery that seems interested, will see when I go next week.  Does anyone have any advice as I really dont want to have to go through this every month, its making me very lowxx
    • Posted

Dear nikki. I had the nausea and migraine symptoms thankfully they come and go, perhaps it is worth avoiding caffeine as i found it made my symptoms worse plus fatty things and alcohol if you happen to have these things x
    • Posted

Hi thank you.  Do you only get the symptoms around  your period?

My memory is awful too.

Do you take any medication prescribed or other? x

• Posted

Dear nikki i found the nausea seemed to be mostly around my period but sometimes it could come on anytime.In peri too it can affect digestion which in itself can cause nause, no i didnt really take anything for it, i just laid off caffeine etc for a bit. I hate the nausea the most but thankfully it comes and goes but it helps knowing that it is a symptom of menopause x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.