starting propranolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP has suggested I try these as I am extremely anxious and stressed all the time, my heart rate goes up, that triggers palpitations – and the last one was full-on 5 hours requiring A&E and adenosine. So I am even more terrified and stressed, so my heart jumps etc etc. But I am so nervous I can't bring myself to try even one 10 mg tablet in case it disturbs my heart rate and panics me even more. Any tips?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey sue.     I have suffered from anxiety for a year and i can understand where you are coming from As it sounds like younare going through a veryndifficult time. The physical symptoms are causing you even more anxiety and i can understand why you would be reluctant to try the tablets As i was the same before i started taking them.  Here is what i would say  10mg isnt a lot i take 40mg so it will calm you down sufficiently and maybe understanding what a beta blocker does woulf help you? Beta blockers significantly helped to reduce my anxiety after all anything is better than feelig the horrible physical effects of anxiety.   I know you are reluctant to try the beta blocker and the tablet it self is probably making you feel even more anxious and apptehensive but try take the beta blocker when ypu are distracted then go out for a walk to take your mind of taking the tablet.   Once you have taken the tablet all it does is make your heart beat stronger and more regular which will stop all the physical symptoms you get and blocks the release of adreneline..  Once you get your physical symptoms under control you can start to look at the mental side of it.  Millions of people take beta blockers every day for migraines higj blood pressure and of course anxiety so its not going to make your anxiety worse it will only make it better.    Trust me when i say this but taking beta blockers was one of the best choices i made.  I take one a day at night with a banana or a yogurt and i regularly drink cammomile tea and take bachs relief capsules which are 4 pound from boots.  Take them alongside your beta blocker.  I know at the moment what you are experiencing is terrifing i have been through it myself but it will get better.  Its important that you keep sharing your problems however irrational as you are not alone.  I know it probably feels like you are.  What triggered your anxiety or is it generalised Anxiety?
    • Posted

Thank you Olivia – going out for a walk to distract myself is such a good idea, I'll try that! I have had generalised anxiety for 15 years now, triggered by an awful menopause which seems never ending, so I have had time to work at it and understand how to keep panic attacks under control, but alas I can't control my heart rate or adrenaline so that's why I'm going to try beta blockers... but haven't dared yet! I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks.
    • Posted

My anxiety is made worse by my hormones so now i am on a contraceptive to help me.   I think the thing about panic attacks is to embrace them because when you feel one coming on its easy to run but dont it will make it worse, all the thoughts that make your anxiety worse just simply say ok to them and dont give them the power to worry you for me it is 'you have other mental illnesses' which i know i dont have and it used to worry me but now i simply say ok To the thought. Beta blockers will rrally help you.  I know how horrible panic attacks and anxiety are but there are so many ways to get through it.  For me when i just get out the house go shopping, walk, go for a bath and especially speak to my friends and family which are know can be hard wth an anxious mindset.  I went from 2 weeks of not sleeping, eating, constant racing heart etc to really calm with beta blockers.   Go see a physcotherapist too it might help.  Lastly, hypnosis is amazing.  It helped me recover a lot.  Its expensive like 60 pound per session but totally worth it.  Give it a go! smile also if you ever feel anxious type into you tube hypnosis for anxiety and there is a 20 minute video on it which really helped me smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.