Starting Sertraline 25mg vs 50mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have been prescribed 50mg of sertraline for anxiety and depression. However after reading many forums of individual experiences I am wary of taking this dose. Last night I took my first dose of 25mg. I took it upon my own initiative to half the tablet as I have read many negative experiences around 50mg, mainly bad side effects.

I know 50mg is the therapeutic dose but I do not want to be 'spaced' out and unable to attend university or go to work where I am required to drive. Currently I am feeling no side effects but this is very early days. 

I am in two minds whether to continue with 25mg or throw myself into 50mg and ride out the storm.

Has 25mg been sufficient for anyone? 

- A x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley! I was recently in the same boat as you. I was INCREDIBLY apprehensive about starting my antidepressant even though it was the lowest possible dose. i had to call my doctor and have her talk me through it. Just think about what you're going through right now and imagine the benefits that you can get from the medication and that may make you feel better smile remember that most of the people that posted online had a bad experience, and you most likely will not be one of those people! Just don't be too anxious before starting it, and you'll be fine smile

• Posted

Hi Kaylin

I've had the tablets for over a week now so I've been trying to build up the courage to take them. Reading the experiences of others did make me feel very apprehensive as I did sit for almost half an hour trying to build myself up. You're right, the majority of post replies are negative. Tonight I will take my first 50mg. Still don't feel any side effects from the 25mg, here's hoping this won't change MUCH lol!

- A x

• Posted

Your Doctor has prescribed the dose you take, the actual splitting of the medication to 25mg will not really cover your condition. Not only that when splitting the dose you are reducing the two halfs of the tablet.

At this time you will not be taking examinations so it may be the best time to throw yourself to the storm as you say.

Suprisingly when I was at College I had to take AD medications and they really knocked me sideways. The medications these days are not as bad and eventually after the four or five weeks I would hope the side effects should be minimumised.

Take your medication as prescribed and make your self well again.Trust your GP, He is in Partnership with You ase far as your helth matters are concerned

Keep a hold

B.

• Posted

Hi borderriever

When I seen my GP she never spoke about the dose, although I already knew a fair bit about these tablets. I know that 25mg is often used as a starting dose and upped at intervals. I was that anxious in taking the 50mg as I had read so many negative experiences I decided I would half the dose and possibly build up. However on reflection, tonight I will take the 50mg and stick with it. Currently have no side effects on the 25mg, here's hoping 50mg is not as bad as what I have read rolleyes

- A x

• Posted

I took 50mg the 1st day and had terrible side effects. I decided to take 25mg and see if my body could build up to it. My GP didn't really give me any directions. She said I could take 25 if I want or 50? After doing some research it looks like most people start at 25 and increase from there and 50 is the minimum therapeutic dose. So far I've had bad anxiety attacks in the morning, some probably from taking this and having such a bad experience the first 2 days and some probably just from stress at work and mostly just because I have anxiety lol! I plan to start 50 soon and I'm also going to ask my counselor about it, although she doesn't prescribe I'm sure she has experience dealing with medication.

• Posted

Hi

I planned on taking the full 50mg tonight but as the hours pass I am beginning to change my mind. Do you find that the 25mg has helped in any way? I know it is only day one but I currently don't feel any side effects. I'm just worried that once I take the 50mg will affect my university and work attendance. 

- A x

• Posted

When I took the 50 I could barely walk straight. Again that was the 1st day. I went to work and felt fine but as I went on I got really nauseous and dizzy. I could barely drive home, it scared me. The next day it took 25 and was still dizzy. I don't know if I was still feeling it from the day before or if I was still just getting used to it. Now that I've taken the 25 for 5 days I'm not really feeling anything anymore. I'm want to try 50 but I thinking about waiting until my day off in case I get sick again.

• Posted

I understand what you mean by waiting until you have a day off, I think that is partially the reason why I feel reluctant to take it. I may try staying on 25mg until Wednesday, when I have a few days off where I coud deal with the side effects at home. 

- A x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.