Starting Sertraline slowly? Advice please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So tomorrow I am to start Sertraline. My psychiatrist said to start slow with it. He gave me 50 mg to break in half and take for a week...my question is is it safe to break the 25 mg in half as well and start even slower? I'm a huge baby when it comes to side effects 😦 but id take 12.5 my for a week then 25 mg for a week then 50mg then I would see him again. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks. Also share experiences if you like. Preferably positive ones lol

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started it about a week and half ago at 50 and continued to get sick so my doctor said break it in half for a while. so I am. I have been doing this a few days now and I've been fine. But everyone is different.

• Posted

So on 25mg you dont feel as sick? that's good. I am hoping that starting slowly will help me out to not feel so bad.

• Posted

I don't feel sick at all on 25. My doctor said to go back to 50 in about a week after taking 25 so my stomach gets used to it.

• Posted

Y es, you can start on a quarter of 50mg...and work your way up..this way your body will get used to it slowly, causing fewer side effects...I have 2 sisters on sertraline..started on 50mg and they had no problems with it...good luck with it..x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.