starting to feel sorry for myself :/

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 12 weeks and have been introduced onto levothyroxin, first 50 then 75 now 100.

My symptoms remain unchanged and by blood tests show no thyroxin in blood.

I am tired all the time, irritable, poor concentration and having problems swallowing and pulpitations.

in others experience how long did it take to start feeling a bit better. Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi mattfarr1976,Can't say I'm in a position to help with that,as struggling myself.However,are you on facebook? The Thyroid Problems UK group are great.You have to join as a patient,and only members can read the comments.Really helpful and supportive.Hope you get more help from others.
  • Posted

Hi Mattfarr,I was in the same state you are in now,you must help yourself because only you can.There are other things you can take for your UAT but unfortunately most GP's will not prescribe it though it was used for over 100 years before the dreaded levothyroxine put in an appearence.Join a Facebook UK thyroid group,there are lots of things that need to be ok before you can feel well,a group will tell you what tests you need & where to get them & also tell you what to read which I am not allowed to tell you on this site.You can do a lot to make yourself well but you need to learn about your illness first before you can get the best from your GP.You will probably have to wait to join a group but it will be worth the wait . 
  • Posted

I was startetd on a very low dose of Levothyroxine 25mg.

The doctor did not want to give me any medication as my blood results said i was border line but because symptoms were generally spoiling my life ie tiredness, brain fog,etc etc he prescribed it as a therapeutic dose.

I fealt better almost straight away especially the brain fog it seemed to clear the next day and I didnt feel as tired.

That was 3 months ago and I am starting to get tired again so may need a higher dose.

It sounds like your dose isnt high enough. It also sounds like you have Hashimotos.

I think you often have to get stern with the GP for them to do anything and I have also found if you take someone else with you they treat you better.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi there.

I just wanted to put my 2 bobs worth in and say please don't feel hopeless. I was at the nurse today and she was also having issues with her thyroid. She said she was prescribed levothyroxin but it had no effect. She said she eventually had to start buying her medication from the thyroid forum uk. I dont know what it is and I'm certainly not advocating or selling anything, but I don't want you to feel like there is also nowhere to turn. Hope this message helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.