Starting to get sensations of blacking out

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have severe osteoarthritis in neck and across shoulders from years of typing.  Have started to notice that when typing I get a sensation as if I am going to black out, my vision go a bit off, sort of wonky.  My neck is so painful it hurts to hold my head up.  I presume that it is a trapped nerve but wanted to ask if this happens to anyone else before wasting time going to an optician.  I cannot take anything apart from paracetamol and I do use a heat pad, but the curvature in my neck seems to be getting worse and no idea what to do next.  Thanks for reading

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

two years ago I went to a neurologist to have an MRI for headaches and a very painful neck. He referred me to physio and acupuncture and using a tennis ball and massaging my neck against the wall. This went on for about a year and I found most medication did not work. Finally the acupuncturist gave me 3 simple exercises for stretching and this has saved me. I sit cross legged against a wall with my back and neck straight against the wall and then lean quickly forward as far as I can go and then repeat this 20 times quickly always keeping the neck straight and the chin tucked undert. Next I do the same thing with my legs straight in front of me trying to tough my toes and finally I spread my legs and try and touch the floor. I repeat this group of exercises 3 times. Somehow it seems to stretch my entire back from top of the neck to my feet. I now do these 3 exercises about every 2 days. It generally takes about 10 minutes and all pain in my neck and back has disappeared. I actually think the stretching has released the nerves caught up with the osteoarthritis. Unfortunately I also have arthritis in my thumbs and pelvis but have worked out ways of diminishing the pain there as well. You are bending right from your lower back.
    • Posted

Hi Kate, My physio said it was like kneading dough, she never made a difference and told me to stop going.  I will try your exercises and see if they help.I have arthritis inmy hands from typing, learning on the old manual which was hell on your fingers.  Thanks again
  • Posted

Dear Youngatheart,

I share this symptom and have actually blacked out when I turned my head to fast..... doctor told me to be more careful........ I told him he needs to "F.O.C.U.S."...... message me if you want to know what this means...... but do be careful as I was driving and luckily felt the blackout coming on with dizziness.....pulled over.....thankfully came to on the side of the road..... not hurting anyone....thank GOD..... now I no longer drive as I am afraid this will happen again as I has happened at home...... I had an MRI on my neck..... my spine is a mess...... maybe you should go and get a second opinion....  will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....and will follow your discussion and hope you have good news to share soon!

Always.....Erela

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, that must have been really scary.  Mine only seems to happen when I am on the computer and if I am scrolling up and down the page, I have felt it come on a couple of times since I posted, but I manage to fend it off by shutting my eyes and looking away from the screen for a while.  I hate have such a painful neck and seem to live with a heat pad permanently around my neck.  Take care
  • Posted

oh my.....I think you should see an Orthopedist that specializes in the Spine.... now all these doctors only do one part of our bones.... ridiculous..... when I was a child you went to the orthopedist and he did all the bones..... oh well...... but you should see one before the symptoms get worse......  better sooner then later...... learn neck stretching exercises......ect..... ( you tube has amazing videos with all kinds of stretching stuff! ) it's a great source for researching problems with the spine as well...... were do you live??..... If you are here in California I would go to UCSF  in San Francisco or Stanford Hospital  which is in Palo Alto....

Take care.....Erela

• Posted

I also use a heating pad..... lol.....  do you know about (White Lily oil??  it's stronger then tiger palm or any sports cream...... I love it.... I buy my bottles from Amazon..... I think it's about $5 ..... I love this oil.....and I have tried every thing else......  if you go to an orthopedist you can get lidocaine patches that you can cut into strips and they last about 6 hours.......  There is also a lotion that is only available through doctors (sports medicine)  called Terocin ..... it comes from Canada....... I have a bottle.... it has Capsasian in it which for me..... gets to hot.... all my friends love the cream...... do you want me to mail you one of my bottles to try as I bought extra???..... send me a message if you do and I will share.....

Take care...... Erela

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for sending me details of things that help you. It sounds like you are from the USA so I will look up Terocin in the UK. I will look at getting hold of some of the oil as well. I do have some patches that help with the pain similar to lidocaine.  I have to be careful of what I use as I am on blood thinners but hopefully oil and creams should be ok.  Take care and thanks again for your help.
    • Posted

Sorry, you are in USA should have read other message first LOL
    • Posted

if you cannot find the "Terrocin" send me a message... you can find the "White Lily Oil" on Amazon or Bay.......  have you tried CDB's and THC??? 

I take blood thinners for a bum ticker.... lol .... I pray you have a tolerable day......

Erela

• Posted

Hi youngatheart1

?I remembered the name of the exercises I have been doing and it's called makko-ho. Check it out on google.

• Posted

Thanks Kate will google and have a go.  I have booked a massage for next week as I am so stiff and fed up having a headache, the ones my physio used to do were so painful am going to try a more relaxing one s hopefully if I am less stiff the exercises should help.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.