Starting to get worried.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 20 years old. 2 months ago, I started to get a sore throat with white patches on tonsils, fever, body aches, night sweats, and swollen lymph nodes. I went to the doctor and they tested me for strep and did a spot test for mono. Both came back negative. I’ve had recurring sore throats about every 2 weeks since the first initial sore throat. Yesterday, I went to an Ears, Nose and Throat doctor and he had me do a blood test for EBV, even though I had a negative spot test. Why is he testing me again even though I got a negative result the first time??? I’m scared it’s something else because I googled all my stomtoms and its literally telling me I have an STD or something!!! I have crazy anxiety and I know I should trust the doctor but I would like some reassurance from anyone who may be going through or has went through the same thing. I just want to feel better already.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jordan,

So sorry to hear you're having such a tough time at the moment. I don't really know all that much about blood tests and things, sorry I can't be more help there, it is good to get an EBV test though and that can rule out mono / glandular fever. You're doing the right thing by getting blood tests done, they can tell so much with blood so take some rest that you're doing the right thing, it could be a nasty virus I've had those kind of symptoms before with a nasty virus. I do understand your anxieties though, but hang in there I believe things will pass over and you will get better - it's so easy to let your mind run away and starting googling everything, I've done it too and it's a horrible feeling - hang in there Jordan and remember take reassurance you've done the right thing seeing the doc and getting blood tests.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for you’re reply. Glad I’m not the only one who get anxiety about this kind of stuff.
  • Posted

'Already'?

Dude I've been sick for 8 months.

What exactly did your doctor say?

• Posted

8 months?? I’m so sorry! The doctor actually didn’t say that much. He was an older man and seemed to know a lot. He just seemed look at my tonsils and instantly knew it was Mono. It was kind of weird lol. I told him the whole story and all my symptoms, and he told me he was almost completely sure it was mono because of my tonsils and I’m the right age for mono. He said spot tests aren’t always right and the EBV test would tell me for sure.

One thing he also said is there nothing you can really do for mono sad just to get rest and not to exercise. But I’ve been resting for 2 months!!!

• Posted

Hi Jordan,

?My daughter and granddaughter were both negative for mono and positive for EBV, I tested positive for mono and EBV, It takes a long time to feel better, I am older so I didn't truly start feeling better until about 10 months in, I started having some good days about 6.5 months in. The anxiety is the worst feeling ever and one of the last symptoms to go away

• Posted

I appreciate your response. Hearing from people going through the same thing is comforting.
    • Posted

Hi Jordan,

Defo did the right thing to get the blood tests, it would be hard I would imagine for a doctor to be able to diagnose mono / glandular fever without these. I know it's hard try not to worry and remember you will get better, whether it's mono or not.

Craig

• Posted

So it turned out not being mono...
    • Posted

Hey Jordan, thanks for the update. Take it as good news it not being mono, as it's a real nasty virus, however I know how frustrating that must be not being further forward. Def keep on at the docs if still not feeling right until you get answers.

Craig

• Posted

Hey jordan, what dis the ebv test result say? I literally started out with the same crap over a uear ago now and when i seen the dr she was positive it was mono due to the look of my throat and other symptoms.. tests were negative, positive for previous infection though so when i was younger they rekon, although i cant ever remember suffering from it
  • Posted

Better to trust what lab results and your doctor say. I also had symptoms like yours much worst i think-i had occasional night sweats,tinnitus and tingling sensation on my hands and feet,and just recently unexplained fatigue, im a bit medically inclined so its more stressing to know that this symptoms are not good,but im hopeful it will go away soon. Just follow what your doctor said.now im watching the food i eat and take my vitamins cautiously,we cant get through it.i hope and pray we'll get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.