Starting treatment today

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday ,I couldn't take it any more . Parked my car outside the surgery ,spoke to NHS direct for about 30 mins and they told me t go and see my GP . Went in to my GP ,and broke down in front of him . He's related to my wife and he had a feeling i was suffering from depression for a long time but didn't ask because it was not his business.

While I have not been having any suicidal tendencies , I have been feeling awfully low , increased heart rates , panic attacks, inability to think straight, tireldness general feeling of despondency and helplessness.

I guess what really prompted me to go to my doc yesterday was the fact that my condition is taking its toll on my marriage and my work.

Took my first tablet this morning .I'll wait for a few weeks and see how it goes - hopefully , i should be able to start a new chapter in my life. I am hopeful .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well done for going, I found admitting i wasn't right to be the hardest thing left it too long and broke quite spectacularly in front of some friends at work...

I've been on them for over 2 weeks now and am having ups and downs but i'm sure it is the right thing to do to get better.

• Posted

Hi cyber 1

It's very hard to admit that you have depression, especially if your are male.

I've been on citalopram for five weeks now and this week i feel that i have made some real progress. It can take upto eight weeks for the medication to get into your system, so stick with it.

You've already taken a very big step towards recovery. by going to your G.P.

I've found this forum very helpful. just for the simple fact that there are lots of people going through the same thing.

• Posted

Thanks for all the support folks . Now on my 4th day of 20mg , and i see that I am yawning like crazy . I think that's a side effect of this drug . Does that subside after a few weeks or is it something i will have to live with ?

Also I am wondering if i can take this medication at night before i go to bed - what are your experiences ?

• Posted

I'm just coming upto 3 weeks and am still yawning alot.. But I thought that was mainly because I haven't been sleeping and that seems to be getting better now.

I've found the side effects are getting a bit better now and have read and been told that they wear off as the meds start to take full effect, lets hope so smile

I have heard people taking it at night, but I was advised to take it in the mornings, my Dr has also said we should up my dose to 30mg which I start from Thursday.

• Posted

Take the meds at night definitely because sometimes they can make you twitch. I had the yawning and also jaw clenching and pen biting. Couple of minor wobbles but been on them three weeks now and so much better I can hardly tell you. Well done for going to the docs. The link reluctant started called \"struggling\" will be very useful cos we have all been on there whining about the side effects - so you will get some idea of what to expect - or not - as the case may be. I have had no trouble sleeping apart from the odd night at first where I would wake up in the early hours - but that wasn't too bad - I still got back to sleep. Hope you're OK.xx
  • Posted

just re read that post. sorry!! I don't know whats up with me. Am truly mental. TAKE THE MEDS IN THE MORNING NOT AT NIGHT!!! What planet amn I on?? Must be the drugs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.