Starting Venlafaxine, Advice/Hope Needed Please

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm soon to be starting Venlafaxine, after coming off mirtazapine and after trying , Citalopram, Fluoxetine, and Sertraline. Venlafaxine is my last hope against my depression and anxiety before a psychiatrist.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with Venlafaxine as all I can see on here is negatives. I'm desperate to benefit from this as I'm only 21 and worried of a life with depression and anxiety with nothing to ease.

I'll be starting 37.5mg 2x Daily

Thanks ,

Luke

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there, I took Venlafaxine at night because you sleep through some of the initial side effects. Some people feel nauseous after they take the med so if you eat something before you take it then go to sleep you usually don't notice the side effects. Sometimes I was a little nauseous and sleepy during the day but that was improving the longer I was on Venlafaxine. Quite often doctors recommend taking your med at night. I work in the mental health field and I know many people who have switched from day time dosing to night for this very reason. Keep your chin up. You will get better. 

• Posted

I've now started it at 37.5mg morning and night. Has anyone else has problems with excessive uncontrolled yawning and the chills. I'm normally a warm person but am reduced to bed when not at work due to the yawning and feeling so cold.

Luke

• Posted

Hi Luke,

In December 2015 I started on 75 venlafaxine and increased to 150 after a few weeks. Initial side effects included night sweats, dizziness and sexual delay. On the plus side, my mood has completely improved to the point I am happy to wake up each morning. I start conversations with strangers and enjoy interacting. I know there are negative experiences mentioned on this forum, but for me this AD has been a true life saver.

I take the full 150 in the morning, as taling it at night kept me awake.

The only major side effect I still experience is delayed sexual release. However the benefits are so fantastic that for the time being I am completely satisfied.

All the best, please keep us posted on your progress.

• Posted

I first got diagnosed with anxiety/depression in 2012 and used to take 50 increasing to 100mg sertraline but after many incidents and it not feeling beneficial I came of it. And just been on propranolol mainly since. Last Friday also got diagnosed with emotional instability by a psychiatrist Started taking 75mg venlafaxine this morning and been in bed feeling sick and being sick since 11am can't keep anything down was instantly sick after attempting to eat a bacon sandwich even the smell was bad. Haven't been able to drink much either and diarrhoea. also jaw lock hot and cold sweats and light headed am not liking it so far but it's only day 1. I also take 40 mg of propranolol and 25mg promethazine but was told it was fine by the psychiatrist. I hope this passes very soon
  • Posted

Hi all, I started Venlafaxine37.5mg two days ago, I get the chills, dizzy, dry mouth etc, but does it get better? I feel I'm all over the place oh and the tiredness!!!!

Just need some reasurance, this is the 3rdmed I've tried.

• Posted

Hi Nick,

I had the chills and constant yawning /tiredness. Mine subsided after a week or so I found that paracetamol stopped the chills and I don't have any side effects now . except unable to sleep but that's an existing problem smile

Hope things get better for you, I thought the side effects were never going to go when I first started but I kept taking them and they went smile

Luke

• Posted

Thanks for the quick reply, I work outdoors and one of the lads is driving me around for the rest of the week.

Thanks for the heads up, got my doc calling me tomorrow to see how I'm going, had to finish work early today I felt so rough.

Nick

• Posted

Yes nick it will get better im on 300mg daily plus other tablets too and im on high doses of other things so hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

I have been stable on Venflaxine, Mirtazapine was the worst drug i had it made me worse and suicidal.I have been right up to 225mg and Im currently tappering down gradual over a few years while I await spinal surgery. I am curretly on 150mg and its been great. My only gripe is it will certainly let ypu know if you forget to take a dose even for just one day

• Posted

Im on 300mg a day plus im meant to be on 15mg of mirtazapine but i take 45mg ... Yet it still dosnt takecmy anxiety away sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.