Starting venoflaxine....confused !!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I am new to the venoflaxine forum as I have been on the citalopram forum for 6 months.

I am due to start venoflaxine tomorrow at 37. 5mg and over a few weeks move up to 150mg. Having read posts on here I am left feeling very confused. Most of the posts are negative.....not all.....or are about withdrawal. I have done a lot of research and am aware this drug has a very bad withdrawal but if it works then that is a small price to pay. I am concerned about possible side effects and if they will outweigh the benefits.

I have severe post natal depression and anxiety. I am on mirtazapine 45mg and diazepam and am coming off citalopram to go on ven as it made me worse.

On the cit forum there are a lot of posts about starting up not so much here. Is that because there are less start up problems or less people on ven ?

Some have mentioned through therapy they have realised the meds are part of the problem. I ask them if they needed the meds to get to a place to see that.

I have been very I'll and am really hoping ven will help as I know other woman it has helped and they have reduced with no problems.

This forum seems very negative towards ven. Any ideas why this is ?

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I was on ven for over 7 Years. Honestly, I felt good while I was talking the medicine. No depression, moreover, it did not make me drowsy. Which is a bug plus in comparison to done other meds.

Problem is dependence upon ven. A single missed dose created minor symptoms. Having said that, withdrawal was a problem till I didn't go all out to stop ven. I cud successfully (in terms of taming withdrawal) do that couple of months ago. Now I know 1st hand that withdrawal is achievable with a strong resolve for 2-3 weeks. Though it's done, but now slowly mood dampness is coming back, that's a different story. Let's see how it pans out.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with MDD with psychosis last July after a lot of life changes. I was finally hospitalized by my psychiatrist so he could monitor my progress while he found the meds that worked for me. I now take 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine and I'm happier than I've been in years. I have also heard the withdrawal stories, but right now I'm just so glad to have myself back and feel happy. The side effects I've had don'T bother me much and are well worth it. Let me know how things are going with you. I live in Canada and my meds are inexpensive here, about $65.00 a month. I also have health insuracne that covers most of the cost, so

I pay less than $5.00 a month for my

antidepressants.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Just wanted to say: don't worry about withdrawal. Once you are well and balanced for long enough, withdrawal done slowly (slower than most suggest) will be relatively uneventful. The only way withdrawal is difficult is if it is done too soon or too fast. I keep saying this and am probably beginning to sound like a broken record I think smile  but I really think more people can benefit from being aware of this. I base this on personal experience as well as numerous people i have seen come off it properly with minimal issues. All the best.

• Posted

having done it cold turkey  ( 10 days in and coming through it )would not recommend at all this route my GP said it was such a small dose that rather than reduce it could be stopped altogether (150mg)  total lack of knowledge on his part ! glad you had ne side effects 
    • Posted

Your GP as most GPs was clueless. 150mg was not at all a small dose. It is a solid therapeutic SNRI blast that requires respectful handling smile It took me 2 years to come off 150mg properly. Yes, absolutely no notable issues. Some heightened tension around each drop, but swiftly evened out . I really have a problem with GPs messing with people on this.

You have been off for 10 days? Keep up supportive therapy (i think i saw above that you are in private therapy as well?). Feed yourself well, light exercise, adequate rest...do whatever you can to keep balanced. You can expect ups and downs over the next few months as your brain recallibrates. Hope you sail through it and wish you the best outcome.

I had stopped cold turkey during the earlier part of my therapy with GPs (they messed with me for 4 years). I was on 75mg at the time (undertreated). I was shaky immediately upon stopping and then calmed down. However...the rebound came 3 months later. I ignored it. 6 months later i was a mess. This is when I finally found a great psychiatrist and followed a proper therapy with him, leading to my finally very positive experience. If you feel something is off do not see it as a sign of failure if you have to reinstate in order to withdraw properly.

All the best.

• Posted

thanks , yes i am not through it yet but keep going bad stomach pain at mo ! its like a kidney punch after eating so gonna se dr abt it as getting worse over last 3 days, yes counselling helping more than any meds, DR is a snr partner too , shame his knowledge poor but my pig headidneess after starting didnt want to go back, emotional re-balance needed moments of tears very close, anger have broke a router as it fell of a shelf twice , thinking if i slammed it down it would stick was futile, trying to differentiate symptoms are hard as virus has affected house also but sweats flu like symptoms gone, just insomnia, stomach pains left !!
    • Posted

sleep a lot better thanks now 5 weeks this weds. got flu symptoms still though and chesty breathlessness went to dr has done bloods, chest xray and ECG , ECG fine just blood results, not sure if viral or fluid on lungs. overall good counsellor talked about slowing breathing etc. which helped, still glad i went off it tbh, how are you

• Posted

Good to hear. I do hope you continue to get progressively better.

Well if chest x ray was clear that should rule out effusion? Though they could do a chest ultrasound for better assessment of any suspected presence of liquid i guess.

I am well thank you. It has been years now since i completed therapy and since then no issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.