Startup effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just started Mirtazapine last night.. Sedated me completely within 30 minutes. Problem is I slept 15 hours, and woke up to go to work and still felt like I could fall asleep on my feet.  5 coffees throughout my shift, and I could STILL fall asleep on my feet.  It was awful.  I told everyone I took Benadryl before my shift.  It's been 15 straight months of trying to find a medicine that will work for me.  Add to that, I switched to the Remeron and haven't been on Effexor in 2 days, so the intense brain shocks on top of the out of this worldly drowsiness.  Got home from my shift at work and couldn't help but break down.  About ready to give up on the medicine route all together.  Can someone please tell me if this passes.  If it doesn't I'm calling my doc tomorrow and stopping this ASAP.  It's not like I can sort of function, if I didn't sleep those 12+ hours, I literally would not have been able to.  Starting to lose all hope with medications, as this is my 7th straight.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, ive been on 15mg for 2.5 weeks the first 2 days I was like a zombie for most of the day then by day 5 I was almost normal when I woke up. Just drink lots of coffee the first few days.

I was prescribed mirtazapine a year ago and took one tablet and was so out of it the next day I stopped taking it.I didn't realize the zombie feeling totally goes away

• Posted

I started on 7.5mg for a few days then upped to 15mg, ive tried quite a few ad s and this one seems ok!
  • Posted

This is a good anti depressant the sleep thing should settle the lower dosages cause more tiredness, so not sure if your doctor plans to increase at any point? Hang in there things get better.
  • Posted

Hi Fellow sufferer

Yes indeed the mighty Mirt' does knock you out to begin with, most doctors don't know this and a little advance knowledge of expectation would be most helpful rolleyes  I think it took me 4 or 5 days and then I just slept like a baby ~ most welcome after struggling with insomnia.  

Did you just swap over from Effexor or taper it, only thing is you might have some discontinuation from that if not tapered, at some later stage.  

Just a little note ... Mirt' is a tough one to discontinue, and if or when you do, do it slowly, suddenly stopping can wreak havoc with folks CNS.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

HELLO ALL, thanks for the responses.  I was in a brutal place that first day.  It's been 5 or 6 days now, and that has completely passed.  I still wake up drowsy a bit and it's hard to get up when I do fall asleep, but it isn't feeling like I downed 5 benadryls with a bottle of scotch.  I do not a slight dulling effect on my mind, which is preferable to when my monkey mind lets loose.  Who knows though, it's only been less than a week so I will make sure to update.  Nothing negative to say so far about it, besides day 1, which I definitely would've called out of work had I known.  Appetite is high, but it always is, and I'm a exercise nut, so weight has been completely neutral thus far.  Thanks for all the replies again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.