State Pension

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I don't know if anyone will know anything but thought I would ask anyway.  I am due to get my state pension at 65 in 2 years time.  Now I know the full rate is around £155 a week which I was expecting seeing as I have more than 35 years National Insurance Stamps.

However I look it up online and it says that while I have 39 years NI contributions I am on target for only £133.00 a week instead.  I can't understand why this would be the case. 

I haven't been in work since 2010 and do remember reading something somewhere saying that some of these contributions have to be between 2016 and 2019,  but when I asked Age Uk about it they said that is not the case. 

I have googled this but can't find any info and am wondering if anyone could help please.

Thank you. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hypercat,

I'm so sorry but i have no idea about pensions as i'm way off claiming mine yet so it's not something i've ever read about. I just didn't want you to think i'm ignoring your post. Hope you find the answer your looking for here or maybe CAB could inform you better. xx

• Posted

Yes as Denise says contact the advice services like CAB who would understand these things much more then any of us Hypercat..
  • Posted

Hi I would presume your male due to the 65 years of age for retirement, I don't see how you are only getting the low rate projection of pension.

A because that's not an option with your stamps but B because it goes up nominally this month.

Did you use the pension calculator on the DWP site.

• Posted

No I am female but am caught in the putting the pension age up for women so I will be 65 when I get mine.   My sister who is 2 years younger will get hers at 66 and it will be the same age for men. 

I went on the Government Gateway site which is official DWP, answered loads of security questions and they gave me access to my records online.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies folks.  I appreciate no one know has any answers but can anyone have a google for me please as I can't find anything online about  this  .

I won't go to our CAB as they are only open 2 mornings a week and are frantically busy,  but I did arrange a meeting with an advisor at 'Age UK'  last year who assured me that it isn't the case I would have to have more recent stamps to get the full pension.   It seems she might be wrong. 

• Posted

Hi hypercat,

I am in a similar situation to you. I am also due to get my state pension in two years when I'm 65. I went online and checked and am due the full state pension £155. 

I checked with CAB online and searched national insurance conbributions and benefits. Wow, it's a minefield! There are so many varying rules and different circumstances.  It is a bit confusing but if you read through it you may find stuff that suits your circumstances. It definitely does say "If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016, you normally need 35 qualifying years". Note the word "normally"!

Sorry I can't be of more help. xx

• Posted

Thanks for that.  When I checked it said I had 39 qualifying years which is over the 35 that they are demanding.  I can't understand why my reading is different from yours.

Can I ask are you still working please?  

• Posted

No, I'm not working, I lost my job through ill health and have been on ESA in the support group for about 4 years now. I'm assuming my NICs are paid through them. I don't even pretend to understand how it works!

I took about ten years off altogether when my kids were little but I think my husband's NICs covered that somehow and probably kept me up to date.

I know you said CAB are really busy in your area but could you perhaps arrange a phone intervew with them instead? They're usually pretty good at this sort of thing. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that.   It looks like the fact you are claiming benefits and getting your NI stamp paid is the difference.   I am not claiming any benefits coz I have very small private pensions.  I am going to ring the pensions up tomorrow to see what the situation is. 

I hope I am not going to be forced on JSA to just get my stamp paid.  I can't get a job at my age and  most of them I can't physically do anyway.  Thanks for your reply.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.