Static Pain 4 Weeks Post Opp

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm  A 34-year-old athletic man . I had An L5 S1 discectomy four weeks ago Due to bad sciatica pain. I have been experiencing pain for about four weeks. So after about four weeks of not being able to put my socks on in the morning I decided to opt for surgery. I'm now four weeks on and I'm still in a lot of pain. FYI I had the same  procedure done two years ago on the same disc and surgery was pretty much a success.....until now.

4 weeks on im still experiencing a lot of pain in my leg. I returned to work two weeks after the opp. My work involves sitting down quite a lot and although I've done my best to avoid sitting down for long periods sometimes it's unavoidable.

My surgeon does not seem concerned about my ongoing pain and advised that because a fragment of the disk had attached itself to my nerve there may have been some trauma and the nerve needs time to settle down. Although this does make sense to me I can't help feeling the surgery was not a success, I went back to work too early and that I may have to have surgery again.This wasn't like the last time although my leg was not as painful as it is this time.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Typo and unable to edit......'Sciatic Pain' 
  • Posted

Hi David

I am now 14 weeks post op from L5S1 microdiscectomy. I did have ongoing pain for several weeks after the surgery. In fact if I overdo it, I get pain and numbness but nothing compared to the pain before surgery. I would suggest waiting some time longer. It's a long process as you know from the first op. I wish I could be more help. I found that physio has helped me greatly and believe or not, I went back to the gym doing functional training at 10 weeks. It takes time. I wish you well.

• Posted

hi david I had a full discectomy and fixature of my lower spine 9 yrs ago , i was in so much pain and unable to work for 2yrs before my op , my surgeon told me it could take up to 2yrs to decide if it was a success , i was helped with physio , they work your core muscles and in a job that is mainly seated i am sure you would benefit from this , good luck and best wishes   Debbie
  • Posted

Hi Dave

I am 49 years old and very fit female.  I am post op 12 days, with left L2/L3/L4 discectomy, i had been suffering for 18months as a result of an accident with severe pain discomfort left leg/hip with.  Recovery from surgery i believe was a success as i had instant pain relief other than my left leg upper and lower leg and knee cap, it was as though the area was frozen. 

But one week after surgery i took severe agonising  pain upper left buttock which radiated to my left knee this pain is something new and i have been prescribed diazepam 5mg x 3 times a day and a higher doze of gabepentin 400mg x 3 times a day.  I have a review appointment next week to determine if the nerve medication has eased the pain.  My consultant is confident that the pain that i am experiencing is nerve trauma.

Dave can i ask what medication that you had been prescibed and for how long. 

Regards Bernadette  

• Posted

Hi Bernadette,

Thanks for your message.First of all let me say how sorry I am about your accident.

Ok so to answer your question the medication I'm taking is as follows; I'm taking two types of Tramadol twice a day. One is fast release and one is slow release and specifically for the nerve pain I'm taking Lyrica although I'm still experiencing pain they definitely help.

In the past I've taken diazepam if I've had bad muscular back pain as it worked but if you don't mind me saying 3 diazepam a day sounds pretty heavy going. They make me feel totally zonked. OxyContin and Oxynorm are also said to had effective but like all strong pain medication three usually side effects to deal with.

This link might interest you;

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/pregablin-lyrica-vs-gabapetin-neurontin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.