statin side-effects - (Atorvastatin 10 mgm)

Posted , 19 users are following.

sad Hallo Coral and all other sufferers from Statin side-effects. I too am new to this forum, but would like to ask about anybody's experiences of side effects of Atorvastatin (as oppose to Simvastatin) I think the latter is mostly prescribed because of it's low cost - the one I am on is rather more \"up-market\" and I particularly requested to change from Simvastatin, and was \"lucky\" because it is far more expensive and considered the better drug of the two. However, like so many of your experiences on this forum - I can relate to almost all of them. I am breathless to the extent where I have to sit on a kitchen stool to carve a joint or dish up a meal I have leg pains, back pains and every other B***** pain!

I also suffer with anxiety disorder which the side effects of statins do sad nothing for that!

Please let me know if any other patients have problems with these ghastly drugs - I have stopped mine now and will tell the Doc when I go next week! I have missed about a week's worth of pills, but have not yet noticed any difference! Does anybody know how long it takes for the drug to leave your system?

Thanks

Winifred

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi duncan, i'd try taking COQ10 about 200mg a day ...this enzyme is destroyed by statins and is vital for energising cells...just google statins coq10 depletion for mor info
  • Posted

Thanks Steve, I've already started on CoQ10 on someone else's tipoff. I've been on it for a week at 800mg a day to get me going, but I am feeling no effect yet. Any idea how long it takes to kick in?
  • Posted

I have not taken Atorvastatin, but I am a 65 yr old male prescribed Simvastatin for precautionary reasons depite a low cholesterol reading. I had very unpleasant side effects after a few weeks, but my GP did not believe that the statin was to blame. These effects were extreme nausea and general tiredness. Eventually, another GP told me that there was a potential clash with the blood pressure reducing drug, Amlodopine, which I was also taking. Would this apply to Atorvastatin too I wonder? Either way, I have refused to take statins in the future, but have had no problems with Ezetimibe which acts in a different way.
  • Posted

I have stopped taking my tablets until I see my Dr. on Thursday.I am going to ask her if there is anything else I can do without taking Statins.

Must be other ways as years ago people didnt have medicines like we have now.

• Posted

I'd like to reassure people who've stopped taking their statins that everyone has a different timescale for improvements with any side effects.

Some find within in a matter of days or weeks they're back to their old selves, others take months or longer.

Please don't feel that as you haven't improved and you're still suffering that it can't be the statins, if you didn't have symptoms before taking statins and they began while on them it's almost 100% certain it's side effects so please bare with it as things will definitely improve.

It took me almost 7 months before I felt better, each month a different side effect subsided and now I'm feeling like my old self.

• Posted

Hi sonya, my partner 46 took for 4 weeks and deteriated very quickly. He lost his memory as if developed dementia within weeks and i was worried he wouldnt even know who i was if he continued on these tablets. I thought he had had a stroke got brain scan which was clear. His a personality also changed. It is now 10 months on and he is better but still not fully recovered. It seems this medication doesnt just cause memory problems whislt taking them but can actually damage the brain of those suseptible. I pray he will continue to improve along with every other statin victim that has experienced these terrible side effects. I hope the damage is not permenant. To make matters worse GPs are in denial about it when we have tried to get help dont like to admit its the drug so there is no support to people going through these type of reactions to the medication. Very frustrating considering you only have to search on the internet to find an abundance of information about statins and TGA. I hope everybody reports the side effects with the yellow card as this surely cant continue happening to innocent patients who are often not fully informed of the dangers when given them as in our case he was put on them whilst in hospital. Regards
    • Posted

i hope to God this applies to me Sonya I really do 
    • Posted

Hi Jenny

how long have you been off of statins and what are your side effects? 

There may be some supplements you could take to aid your recovery

• Posted

Have been to see my doctor today an told her I have stopped taking the statins.Told her how I was feeling being on them,she said they don't suit everyone.So now I have been given a low fat diet sheet to look at.Also she said there are other tablets I could try but it was up to me if I wanted them or not.At the moment I have decided not to try anymore for at least a month.

I want to get back to my normal self if possible.

• Posted

Hi Maggie

Good for you, statins can give certain people severe side effects so you've made right decision.

I would like to add that following a low fat diet won't reduce your cholesterol much at all, it's a complete myth that eating fat raises cholesterol. Trans fats are bad for us as are vegetable oils and in particular low fat spreads etc.

Saturated fat is good so please add this to your diet.

If you want to try and help your cholesterol via diet then I suggest a low carb approach is best.

There's lots of info on internet on the above so please do your research rather than follows your doctors low fat diet.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi everyone

I've also been to see my doctor last week to get my blood results and my cholesterol is still high. I have told him I have stopped taking the pravastatin tablets because of the pains on my hips and aching muscles, and restless sleep. He offered to give me a different one and told him I don't want to because of the problems and I want to try by diet. He gave me a diet sheet and told me I have to do a lot of exercising and said he would refer me to a gym. I told I have never been to a gym in my life.

Does exercise really help.

I remember when I was very overweight over 10 years ago and when I went to the doctors and had my cholesterol checked, I did not have a high cholesterol it was normal. So what causes it, and I eat more healthy now than I did then; and only at the weekends I do indulge occasionally. My daughter has told her friend I eat too healthy. So I don't quiet understand why it is high.

Belgin

• Posted

Hi belgin

When you say you eat healthily what kind of diet do you mean? Is it low fat as this maybe where your problem lies.

• Posted

I am 71 and have AF so I was put on Simvastatin with no apparent ill effects. Doctors were advised to take patients off Simvastatin when taking one of the medications for AF. He put me on Atorvastatin and doubled the dose in error. I suffered from lethargy, depression, headaches, breathlessness, exhaustion etc but no muscle pain with either of these statins. I told my doctor I was not happy with atorvastatin and he said to come off it for 2 weeks. After 2 or 3 days I had really bad muscle pain in my bottom and top of legs. The pain eased the next day but is still there all the time but it takes me ages to get walking in the morning and after sitting down for any length of time. I walked regularly before but now I feel like someone in their late 90s. I never had muscle pain before. Now every movement is an effort. Has anyone else had this? I have had this now for over a week. Does it end? I am beginning to think it won't. What dangerous drugs statins are. 

• Posted

Forgot I had sent this. It turned out I have polymyalgia which is the reason the pain etc. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.