STATINS

Posted , 7 users are following.

My doctor has advised me that I should consider taking Statins. I know of the side affects. Am I right to be apprehensive?

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My need for BP drugs was caused by my desire for coffee in the morning, just like my Dad found out in my younger days.  He would swig down cup after cup of coffee at his Aparment House Assn. meeting every Tuesday morning, and then go to his doctor, who found he had high BP and put him on meds.  Once he figured that out and eliminated coffee those mornings he would see his GP, all became normal again.  No more high blood pressure for my Dad.

Same with me.  When I remembered all that - a challenge when I was on the statins because of my memory patchiness, didn't remember it till after I had stopped taking them - I realized I was doing the same thing.

Next doctor visit I consciously stayed away from having any coffee that morning and guess what?  My BP was completely normal.  Did it again on my next doctor visit, didn't drink coffee that morning.  Same thing.  Completely normal.  I went to 1/4 of the lowest dosage of Enalypril available, and would have completely stopped it if my cardiologist was not convinced that the heart advantages warrented continuing the enalypril.  So I do continue, but at hopefully a small enough dose to not matter anymore, on the BP issue. 

Coffee was the culprit, plain and simple.  It had me on BP meds I never needed in the first place. They made me fall asleep at movies, have half mast - sometimes no mast at all - performance issues in the bedroom, and generally affected my all around life performance.  Not a welcome plight, I am so glad I am off them.  For the most part anyway.

• Posted

Before I retired I would have 8 or 10 cups of coffee a day and was a smoker and my BP was normal. I stopped smoking a year before I retired and did not drink real coffee much after that.  Seven years later I had hypertension. I had stopped salt and sugar 15 years before that.

A friend went for a BUPA Well Man check. He had fasting blood tests and was told that the doctor would be half an hour late for his  physical examination and ECG. As he had not eaten he was asked if he would like sandwiches and coffee. He ate the sandwiches and drank the whole pot of good strong coffee.

The doctor arrived and did the ECG and made a fuss about the abnormal heart rhythms. All his other test were fine. He spent the next two weeks worrying until the full report arrived. He took it to his doctor who did another ECG that was normal. His doctor asked him to go through the day’s events. When he got to the coffee part the doctor laughed and told him that was the cause of the irregular heart rhythms.

• Posted

Can't add much to what has been written here Jacqui except to say that I too am a survivor of statins. Dreadful things. I just blindly took what the doctor ordered and it was a chance comment that got me researching. Shock and horror! Threw the poisons away and, on year later, still experience negative effects that are slowly diminishing.

As well as Statin Nation vid - which is amust see - I would sugggest you also look at another doco called "The Marketing of Madness." It's generally about anti-depressants, but gives a thorough insight into the workings and history of the pharmacuetical leviathans. Most disturbingly, it describes how the pharmas cheat in testing their drugs and explains their business model which relegates our health to nothing but dollars.

I'm not sure if you have elevated cholesterol, but diet and exercise are the best bet to tackle it safely. Cholesterol is imperative to good health. Wishing you all the best for the future and a positive outcome. smile 

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your response. I will definitely watch the video and read marketing madness. I am determined to take control of my own cholesterol by diet and exercise.
    • Posted

I was informed my cholesterol level was 5.9 and that it was high, also I have a 14% chance of having a heart attack within the next

ten years. GP tried to give me Statins. I read up on the side effects and refused to take them. She became quite offhand with me. I do not think my levels are dangerous.i am m eating a healthy diet and hopefully will stay healthy. At 65 I am hopeful I will continue to enjoy good health for many more years.

• Posted

Good for you! It appears that even the medical profession is at odds when it comes to cholesterol and blood pressure readings. Squabbling amongst themselves. One says one thing and another says another. It hardly inspires confidence does it?

May your health be just that, healthy for many a long year!

• Posted

Good for you! I can't see the point of taking a tablet that impairs your quality of life. I'm going to stick to my guns and stay off the Statins.

• Posted

Pat, good for you! At your age your cholesterol reading is just about perfect - any lower would have negative effects particularly on brain function.  Well done girl for being in charge of your own health.
    • Posted

I noticed this weekend in the newspapers several articles concerning those who stop taking statins. They were suggesting that death rates due to heart attacks would rise dramatically.

This kind of scaremongering is absolutely outrageous. It creates unnecessary anxiety in those who have ceased taking statins. There is no evidence/reseach figures to date that prove this to be a fact.

The medical profession still insist that stains do not cause serious side effects, that any side effects are minimal and slowly fade away as the body ajusts.

They need to LISTEN to their patients. This is not mass over imagination by patients whose experience taking statins has been horrendous to say the least. The fact that most people complain of similiar side effects should tell those dunderheads something!

I despair, I truly do.

• Posted

Hi Helen - I totally agree with your post. Scaremongering and taking advantage of people in times of vulnerability. Absolutely criminal. Further, I have yet to see any actual evidence that death rates rise because soomeone has ceased taking statins. I have, however read evidence that the incidence of heart attacks have decreased after an episode because people change diets and exercise more.

Something that amuses me is that it is never pointed out that no-one gets out alive. Something will kill us - most likely in our case it will be a heart attack or a stroke. Or maybe that bus we didn't see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.