statins

Posted , 3 users are following.

Started on 20 mg statins after high cholesterol ( several years) reading after annual check up.  After one month on them i have zero energy and have gained several pounds - not really dieting though.  Should i discuss with doctor or take longer?  no energy and brain fog as well.

Female age 52.  Healthy - doctor said family history to blame so i guess I'm FH

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You could be going through perimenopause or menopause since you're in that age bracket. With statin drugs you need at a minimum 100mg of cq10 to avoid losing energy. As they are known for slowing down, to a crawl, your mitochondria. Brain fog is perimenopause and weight gain is as well.

• Posted

Thank you.  I will ask my doc about an increase to 100 mg from the 20.  I have zero energy and trouble with concentration.  This is helpful and I appreciate it.  Menopause should start soon - or maybe Im ialraedy in it minus the hot flashes etc.  I have night sweats but they go right away after they wake me up.  
    • Posted

Increase what? CQ10? If yes good. Maybe lower the statin and increase CQ10, that's what my dad did then he went off completely since it was also giving him neck, arm and thigh pain. It also causes dementia, different from brain fog which is a symptom of perimenopause.

• Posted

Hi -Do consider taking Co-enzyme Q 10 as a GP would always prescribe these if you were on statins. The evidence is there to support their efficacy as an anti-oxidant/anti statin side effects. Now you need to buy a capsule version for yourself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.