Statins and grapefruit warning

Posted , 3 users are following.

I find the warning on the pharmacy label and the patient information leaflet "Avoid drinking grapefruit juice" while taking simvastatin to be rather ambiguous, as it could be interpreted as "Try not to drink grapefruit juice ..." If it is an absolute prohibition, would it not be better expressed as "Do not drink grapefruit juice ..." ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Probably, but I don't think it harms you to have grapefruit, it just makes the drug less effective. However, statins are of little use anyway.

• Posted

No, it's the other way round. According to (https://patient.info/medicine/simvastatin-simvador-zocor):

Do not drink grapefruit juice at any time while you are taking simvastatin. This is because a chemical in grapefruit juice increases the amount of simvastatin in your bloodstream. This makes side-effects more likely and increases the risk of them being more serious.

This sounds more definite and serious than the usual warning to "avoid grapefruit".

• Posted

Good information. I stopped taking mine a year ago after taking them for 9 years. I feel so much better and my angina has improved dramatically (i never had angina until I'd been taking them for 5 years, so they didn't prevent my cardiovascular disease, but, they may have caused it.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.