Statins, anybody? Statins and turmeric/curcumin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey it's not exactly a hypertension drug, but along the lines of general cardiac health I have a question about statins, how many people here are taking statins, and is anybody also taking turmeric/curcumin with it, for specific health reasons or general health reasons?

At least most of us with some hypertension at least have the general blood tests and are also watching cholesterol and triglycerides and maybe arterial plaque buildup, that are more directly treated by statins. Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's funny how high blood pressure and high cholesterol goes together. I have had an angiogram that showed one artery at 70%. No Stint.

Dr said we would treat it with meds. I take atorvastatin and losartin. Dr hasn't prescribed anything else.

• Posted

I'm on a self prescribed with drs help, low fat, low carb, no red meat only lean chicken and turkey diet. Dry Cheerios for breakfast. Fruits and veggies for lunch. I don't like seafood so thats not an option. When the family dines out, I eat a salad with grilled chicken. I take my own non fat dressing with me.

• Posted

You can probably have some of those "almond milk" products with your Cheerios, some of them are quite tasty, and have yet have almost no nutritional value, LOL. That's kind of what they're for!

• Posted

JX4187,

As you know from my frequent posts, I promote the DASH DIET. It not only helps to control blood pressure but also lipids. I have a single stent, stopped atorvastatin and allowed the DASH DIET to do its work. All good. Personally I do not like the use of Statins, but I would never tell anyone to stop them without discussing with your GP / Cardiac Consultant.

• Posted

Unfortunately, nothing I have done will help lower my cholesterol except take meds. Both GP and Cardiologist, and I concur it is hereditary. My mom and my Brother have high cholesterol.

I've tried to control it the old fashion way but it goes back up over 200. The lastest test after following the strict diet for 3 months as mentioned was in Nov. 215. HDL 81 and LDL 120. So Dr put me back on meds. Im schedule to test levels again in March.

I'm sure it will be down to 110ish like it was all of last year.

PB is 120s/70s on my meds. Not a problem with that, although I wish I could not take any meds.

One year ago I was or I thought I was a healthy 57 year old. Never on meds and a gym rat. Yearly physical everything was normal. Sure I had colonoscopy and had polyps. Dr could not get one as it was stuck in a corner. Had surgery in 2017 to remove 1/2 of the colon. No issues since until this happen. All 4 of my Drs said this latest issue has nothing to do with the surgery.

Sorry for the long response. Im still having problems. Still more tests, mri and blood work and more. I always thought that my issue my heart, Dad had massive heart attack at age 51 but it keeps getting ruled

Again sorry to be so lengthy

• Posted

Mark yes of course you need to follow GP and Consultant advice. Hopefully there is something around the corner to correct the genetic side of over-production of Cholesterol.

Paul

• Posted

I've read ALOT in a year since this has happened to me. So far I have seen a drug that helps with the lipids. Vaspaca I think is the name. My lipids are in the normal range but some of the research of this drug and a few competing other companies suggest that it might help in other heart issues.

Of all my reading I have found a lot of info on different drugs that are in the trials that will help the heart.

Thanks for your response

• Posted

Vascepa (Vascular - EPA) is just fish oil. Fish oil (omega-3 EPA) is good stuff, but it's unclear that Vascepa has any further advantages. This would help with your lipids, if your lipids needed help.

But your lipids are already great, you have no problems there. Blood glucose is pretty much a different matter, you're already a textbook example of that!

• Posted

Funny thing, my CBC in November showed my Glucose level at 76 mg/dl. Right in the middle.

• Posted

76 isn't in the middle of anything I know of, it's a good solid normal value.

• Posted

Sorry, the lab range was 65-99 mg/dl. thats were i got in the middle. Not high or low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.