Statins cause severe muscle cramps but I have very high cholesterol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on 20 mg Atorvastatin for about 12 years.  I have two heart stints that were placed 12 years ago. Recently, I started to have very severe leg cramps and weakness.  I talked to my doctor and he agreed for me to come off of the statin for 2 months.  The leg cramps went away.  Still have some minor weakness but it seems that it is getting better.  He wanted me to restart the statin at a lower dose.  I agreed to try.  The leg cramps came back.  Then he wanted me to try Simvastatin.  I did.  Leg cramps came back.  I am off of the statins right now but doctor not happy.  I do have high cholesterol and do not know what to do.  I do not want to have a heart attack but  cannot live with severe night cramps and weakness in my legs.  I get no sleep when taking statins.  Does anyone know if CoQ10 or Vit D or Vit E or anything else will relieve the cramping and still be able to take the statin.  I know statins are a very serious drug that can cause many problems but on the other hand, I do not know what else to do to lower my cholesterol.  Anyone have any suggestions in a similar situation.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mary, start taking CoQ10 (ubiqionol works best for me), fish oil, magnesium for the cramping (you can safely take up to 500mg and there are magnesium sprays for topical use also), Garlic tablets and D3. I would get off those statins though. Your brain needs cholesterol to function.
  • Posted

Hi  Mary Ann

I also get leg cramps fron statins and have gone to a very low dose 5mg/day but I supplement by taking 2000mg/day of Niacin ( must not be the non flushing type) it takes about a week for the crazy, itchy feeling to go away but once it does it is a very easy regime to maintain. The combo of the 2 has significantly lowered my cholestrol and I have having almost zero side effects. Hope this helps, good luck

• Posted

Hi,

I took CQ10 for years after I stopped statins. Not sure how much good they did but they are recommended.High cholesterol? How high? Personally I wouldn't touch statins, a bit late now but find alternative methods to reduce cholesterol. What is your diet, your lifestyle,your weight.

Lea

• Posted

Given your history of heart stents and 3 unsuccesful attempts at statins because of muscle issues, you should be granted the ability to go on Repatha...a non statin.

I would strongly suggest you do this. I have had muscle problems and severely high cholesterol and the Repatha has taken my cholesterol down by more than 60%. You didn't mention your cholesterol numbers but it must be high for you to have had stents in the past.

Repatha is expensive, but right now has a $5 per month copay program once your private insurance oks it.

• Posted

I was on a statin but chose to stop taking it,many wierd side affects for me,I used to get bad muscle cramps, I would take magnesium and eat foods containing potassium,also lots of water. Of course check with your doctor first,hope you feel better soon. Xx
  • Posted

I am 63 years old, retired but work part time. I am active and walk for an hour most days. Probably about 20 lbs overweight. Eat very little meat. Off statins, my last test showed Total cholesterol 244, with LDL at 154 and HDL at 66. On statins my last test showed Total cholesterol 173, with LDL at 90 and HDL at 60.
  • Posted

Ok Mary Ann here are the facts about your problem which is the same one that thousands of people have. What I'm about to share with you is all derived from fact based studies by major medical institutions with no opinions added other than how you should handle your situation.. First of all you have already diagnosed the problem. STATINS!  First, I'm going to address your CAD which I also have. Unfortunately, even if you didn't have leg cramps taking a statin will not change the outcome.  A stroke or heart attack.!! I don't want to appear cold or heartless but that is the reality of our situation. As I mentioned, I currently have 45% blockage in one of my arteries. I don't want to bury you in the numerous studies which validate that, but I will mention a recent one.  Baylor St Lukes hospital in Houston, Tx recently completed a 4 yr study with other medical schools in Houston.  Their study had a trial group of patients who had existing/established arterial plaque formations. They put them on a strict diet, exercise program and statin therapy.  Their conclusion after 4 years was that No randomized controlled trials to date including there own, suggest that statin therapy or any other intervention (diet, exercise, statin) slows the progress of established plaque formation (CAD). Since you have had stents you are in this group with me. You might want to consider doing what I am doing. On an annual basis either have a cat scan or treadmill test done to see the % of blockage. If the test approaches 80-90% blockage I will have bypass surgery performed using the mammary artery not stents. Now we are going to address how to handle your dr. First of all the above 200 mg/dl cholesterol level (supposedly toxic) that you and most people have is bogus. No study exist to validate it. The Pharmaceutical industry created it to increase business. It used to be 200 plus your age. Just throw your chol Rx in the trash as I do.  I would never tell anyone to quit taking insulin or blood pressure meds because that could be lethal.  cholesterol on the other hand is in every cell in the human body and the human body does not produce something which will harm the host. They tell you to take COq 10 because a statin stops it's production among other things. It is an antioxidant which protects us from cancer, hence, a higher incidence of cancer in patient on cholesterol therapy. If he gives you a different or higher does do the same thing.  The choice is yours.  Please be weary of niacin in high doses over a long period of time. I don't have time to go into the details at this moment.  Do your research.  P.S. none of the items you mentioned will stop the cramping, only stopping the statin will.  By the way, I am a biochemist specializing in lipid disorders and have been involved in research and development for over 30 years.  Hope I helped to clarify your concerns and options.        

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.