statins...contributes to a bleed on the brain stroke and memory/muscle loss

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone my first post on this excellent site...well my dad was on statins for many years and i could see his health/memory going down hill so decided to take action and take him off the statins last summer...however thedoctors found out he wasnt having his repeat prescriptions and put alot of pressure on him to resume the tablets which he did..3 months later he had a bleed on the brain stroke..some weeks before then he was having black like out symptons and hit a parked vehicle.When i took him off the statins in summer he was like his old self.

Anyway in hospital they gave him a cocktail of drugs of Amlodopine,paracetolmol,codeine,citalopram but funnily enough took him off his statins [avorstatin] probably because of its anti clotting properties which could have led to another bleed.While in hospital the 2nd day he fell out of his chair and smashed his nose requiring stitches..he was like a zombie seeing things that werent there,couldnt feed himself and slept most of the day. Had urine infection during the 4 weeks which wasnt treated and had a catheter.Anyway managed to get him home and immediately i stopped the amlodipine and citalopram but was pressurised into giving him the citalpram again but for some reason didnt know id taken him off the amlodopine..i monitored his blood pressure next 2 weeks and it was normal.He rapidly improved when they took him off the citalpram and treated his urine infection with an antibiotic called macrodantin although he now has a cough which i'm worried about because it says side effects of macrodantin cause this and should be stopped due to damage to lungs although his urine appears clear now.The district nurse says he will probably be put on statins and citalopram again...but i guess over my dead body...no way!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am new here. am 77 years of age. I recently had a stroke and am on a statin drug for the high cholesterol and amlidopine to lower the blood pressure. also one 81 mg ASA per day.

I find your comments re your father quite interesting Steve. am thinking of quitting the statin because of all the negative comments I've heard about them. I am also thinking of trying Chelation therapy and wondering if the pills really work to remove the minerals that cause blockage of the heart arteries and veins in the brain. I would appreciate very much if anyone has good information about this.

to Staff. Thank you for the opportunity to join this forum,

Roland

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.